1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement for Bartolini MK-1 Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kwesi, Jan 24, 2008.

1. What other pickups come in the MK-1 size?

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bart makes a US pickup, the MK - that is a replacement for MK1s, both 4 and 5 string. I have them in my 44-01 and love them. Nordstrand makes some that will replace the MK1 on 5 string basses, but their 4 string versions are shorter than the MK1.

You can get either here:

http://www.bestbassgear.com/

3. Could anyone tell me the difference tone-wise between the MK and MK-1 pickups?

4. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The MK are warmer, with mellower highs, tight focused lows, and good mids. Fairly even sounding across the frequency spectrum. Modern and hi-fi sounding. The MK1 are very bright with harsh highs and high mids, and indistinct, mushy lows. The MK1 are a lot more aggressive and extremely punchy. The MK1 would probably be better for metal, the MK more versatile. Some people like the MK1, I don't. IMO, YMMV, etc.

5. GrindYourMind

GrindYourMind

Oct 30, 2008
    On my sr506 if I just cut my treble on the bass, it sounds like the beeznees

6. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    does anyone know the exact model number of the "mk" and not the "mk1"? im looking for the same damn thing.

7. Jesse DeCarlo

Jesse DeCarlo

Apr 23, 2008
    This is as good a thread as any to point out that somebody besides Bartolini should be making replacement MK-shape pickups. It appears that Ibanez is selling MK1-equipped basses hand over fist, so there's a pretty big market that's only going to get bigger.

I recently picked up a used SR900, and the build quality of the bass is absolutely stellar for the price. But I personally don't like the pickups (or preamp, for that matter). I'm a fan of US-made Barts, so I'm cool with buying a MK4 set. But it would be nice to have a choice, right?

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
  9. calebbarton

calebbarton

Aug 25, 2007
    Oregon
    I manufacture for several companies including but not limited to: Bridge City Sound, Catalinbread, more.
    +100000000

johnetone likes this.
  10. miner49er11

miner49er11

Jun 24, 2006
    Jagsonville
    Showdown, Are you referring to the Nordstrand 5-string pups, like the Big Single 5, Big Split 5, or any of the other Bart P2-shaped pups, that measure 4.27" x 1.27"?

11. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    No, Bart makes a US MK4 and MK5 that are direct replacements for the MK1s.

12. pretendimhuman

pretendimhuman

Aug 10, 2009
    For those of you playing in particular any Ibanez 6-string (in particular the SR506), The pups are bad but the EQ is worse. The muddy and indescernable lows are on the low-B are complemented with thin, twangy highs on the high-C especially in the extreme upper range. I believe the pups are Korean made, not American. But Bartolini offers the MK-6 which are reputed to have a much more even tone across the tonal spectrum. I'd recommend replacing the Pre-Amp first though with the NTMB. Or you can buy a bass that comes with a better electronics package. j/k

13. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I make them in the Bart BC-4, BC-5 and P4 (six string) size. They fit the MK routs.

I don't know of any other replacements for the Barts.

One thing to note on the MK-1 pickups is that Ibanez installed the bright neck pickup at the bridge, and the deep bridge pickup at the neck.

You can see this on the basses with the US MK pickups, the neck pickup says "T" and the bridge says "B".

So if the neck pickup is too dark and the bridge is too bright, try swapping them.

14. Speaking of pickups which preamp compliments the USA MK's the best?

15. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I like the Bart NTMB with them. It is made for them after all. The combo sounds great in my Lakland 44-01.

16. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Does anyone know which ones they put in the modulus's?

17. So does Bart have a higher output that Aguilar obp3

18. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't know, I've never tried the Aguilar.

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

Is output level from the pre important ?

20. Yea I do like my basses with volume