Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement for Ents in LOTR.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ben_P, Oct 9, 2002.

1. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    I heard that they aren't going to have Ents in the Two Towers. I was just wondering if anyone knows what they're doing instead of that. My theory is that they'll bring in the two blue wizards and Ragadast the brown to bring down Saruman.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Where did you hear that?

That'd be a drag, I really was curious how they'd CG the ents...

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I've seen the new trailer online, and there is a flash of something that looks to me like it's an Ent. Have faith.

4. i would kill peter jackson if that happened... first Tom Bombadil, now this? i hope he doesnt...

5. I believe that Ents will be in LOTR. On the extra features disc for the movie one of the features dealt with all of the languages that the actors had to deal with. Entish was one of them. There is no way that you can take them out of the story line. They are too critical to it. Bombadil was a nice side story, but not too critical to the main narrative. His doesn't come back into the narrative later (except by reference). Tolkine even said that he added him as an adventure for the Hobbits to have on the way to Bree.

6. I just saw a brand new trailer (www.lordoftherings.net) and I am almost positive I saw an Ent somewhere in there. I suspect your source is suspect...:rolleyes:. Besides, the Ents are pretty essential to the plot of LOTR, I don't know how they could make the movie without them.

7. Talking of LOR - anyone else notice the omission of Galadriel's Gifts in part 1? How the hell are they going to deal with Shelob? Another thing, not one single mention of the Lembas or the elven ropes - now how are they going to climb down the Emyn Muil?

Picture this...

I can just see Frodo & Sam on the edge of the cliff, looking for a way down (half-way down p. 632 to be precise) - Frodo turns to Sam "...Are you trying to tell yourself you've got some rope in your pocket? If so, out with it!"

"Rope? What rope?" sez his faithful hobbit-servant personage, "I dunno nufink abah't no rope? Where in Middle-Earth do you think I'm gonna get rope at a time like this? I mean we're 'undreds o'miles from the nearest chandler!" (an "educated" Hobbit, to boot!) "...and you expect me to produce a soddin' rope from out o' the soddin' blue! That's it! I've hadda bloomin' nuff o' this adventurin' lark - Elves or no soddin' elves - I want OUT! I wanna go home and see my ol' Gaffer! (sobs) I wanna play with my taters!... " (breaks down weeping, inconsolable...)

- I wonder how Mr Jackson will resolve this one?

;)

- Wil

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I have a feeling that galadriel's gifts will be in the extended DVD version. I don't think Bombadil will be in it though (since they would probably have to extend it more than 30 minutes.)

9. It's just pathetic, that is such an essential piece of the storyline it isn't even funny. there is no excuse for leaving out the gifts. If they give Arwin another super inflated roll in the two towers and leave out the ents I may not even bother to see the return of the king.

10. Most of Galadriels gifts were omitted, BUT the phial of water was in the movie. It was a sort of flashback scene as they are heading down the river from Lorien. Gimlis gift of her hair was omited, as was the rope, and the soil for Sam. Legolas didn't get his knife, but he had them in the fight with the Uruk- Hai. no mention of lemabs, either. But they can deal with Shelob becasue Frodo did get the Phial. You never know though. It may be explained in the Two Towers, sort of a flash back scene, like the beginning of Fellowship, where it showed Bilbo getting the ring, and all that stuff.

I do believe the ents will be in the movie. they are too integral to the story line for Two Towers and Return of the King.

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    That's exactly how I've heard it too.

12. There are ents in the two towers.
    I just looked at the trailer and I certainly saw one (wel partially, but it looked like an ent)

13. The extended version of The Fellowship of the Ring will have the scene where they recieve the gifts from Galadriel, as well as more of the stroy line from Rivendell, and a longer opening section in The Shire. The extended version add about 30 minutes to the movie, and should be out in November. The part of the story with Bombadil was never shot.

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i suggest you go on over to http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/the_two_towers/ and download the trailer for yourself. it's obvious at 2:31 that there are ents - there's a shot of treebeard's legs as he picks up merry.

furthermore, i think it was obvious that the ents were going to be a part of the story in the first episode - remember the orcs around isengard tearing up the trees and burning them in the pit? nice foreshadowing there. :)

15. The Ents are critical to the story, and on the LOTR website, they mention that the actor who plays Gimli is also doing the voice of Treebeard (John Rhys Davies, I believe).

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I'd like to flaunt my complete ignorance and ask everyone what an 'ent' is. I never read the books but I'm planning to see all the films. What's an ent? Is there a LOTR faq explaining this?

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'd wait and see for yourself, dan. they look like they're going to be really cool from the preview, so they should make a cool impact :D.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Did you hear the screams of the trees when they were being felled?

"Their roots run deep"

19. Yep, payback's a bitch.

20. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    They've got to have Ents. They're some of the coolest characters in LOTR.