1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement for Shaeller machine heads?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by skaboy, Sep 11, 2008.

1. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    Hey guys, I've got a aluminium head stocked Kramer bass which recently, one section (on the part that you wrap your string around) on the machine head has snapped off.

Looking at the back of the machine head it's made in Germany and got a S scribbled on the back of it which I am guessing it's 'Shaller'. I've looked for a few replacement and haven't had any luck, mostly because nothing seemed to fit. The closest thing that I have seen is the 'Gotoh' self sealed units.

Need some suggestions and keep in mind that I am in New Zealand.

I'll chuck some measurements on when I edit the post and will post a another photo to show the problem.

SSM16811Large.

SSM16813Large.

SSM16817Large.

Cheers

2. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    Here some measurements, and note that there's a stud on the tuning head itself which slots into a hole at the back of the headstock (and finding the exact the same measurements on replacement tuning heads has been really difficult).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :smug:

Head2.

Headedit.

3. skaboy

skaboy

Oct 16, 2001
    NZ
    bump.

4. old puppy

old puppy

Mar 12, 2008
    just keep an eye on Ebay is all i can suggest. good luck

5. Hi, skaboy.

Not too long ago I had a similarish problem with my Epi T-Birds ALUMINIUM :rolleyes: shafts. The spline just snapped off.

What I did, was to turn a new steel shaft. I was too lazy (and in a bit of a hurry) to set it up in my milling machine so I cut the new splines with a Dremel, by hand. Works well.

In Your case, things might be a bit more complicated. Mine was easy because the wheel was floating freely around in the case and I was able to drive the wheel and the back out with a punch. In Your case it might not be possible to move the worm in such a position that neither of them are damaged. If You can unscrew the leaf and push (gently, and rotating the main shaft as You go) the worm and the worm shaft out from the other side, you most probably can drive the main shaft with the wheel and the back out and the rest is just measuring and machining.

Also, only the top portion of the main shaft can be replaced without disassembly, but it's a bit trickier IMHO.

Those kind of machine heads may turn up in e-bay, but I wouldn't count on that.

Regards
    Sam