1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement for the little rubber piece between the strap button and wood?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by triggervision, Jul 30, 2007.

1. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    What would you guys use to replace the little rubber piece or felt piece that is between the strap button and wood of the bass?

2. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Strap button felts are available from Stewart MacDonald and other sources.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Neoprene faucet washers from any hdwr store will work. Use the one that is flat on both sides.

Felt is available in any sewing or fabric store. A bucks worth should do a bunch of basses.

202 is right about them being available from Stew Mac. Problem being that they have a pretty high minimum order.

4. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Awesome, thanks for the input. Getting my musicman back up and running after not touching it for 11 months and this is the final touch (i think). I'm gonna do the Neoprene Facet Washer idea.

Deryc Vision

5. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Never had a problem hitting the minimum. They always have something else that belongs in the shop. :)

6. I've never tried neoprene. I've always put felt ones on (from Stew Mac) but I'm getting rid of them slowly but surely. Seems like Schaller straplocks always work the strap buttons loose if there's felt in there, but they stay tight when screwed right down to the wood. I may try the neoprene idea though.

7. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    The neoprene washers seem a little thick but I got some anyway. I've yet to put them on; I've been really busy today. My 21st b-day!!...

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Happy Birthday!!!!! Enjoy to the fullest.:hyper: :bassist:

In a standard assortment of about 15 or 20 washers there are 2 to 4 washers that flat on both sides and are roughly the thickness of a nickle. The thickness can be reduced even further by slicing the washer to the thickness that you want. Be careful because you'll need a sharp knife and a means of holding the washer safely. Consider super gluing the washer to a piece of wood, making it easy to hold while splitting it, or any similar scheme.

My personal view on using either felt or rubber is that I don't use them and if I buy a bass as a player, I remove them. I don't see weakening an already 'iffy' connection for the sake af aesthetics, as being a step in the right direction. Anything less than a completely tight screw in a high stress application is an invitation to possible disaster.

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I know what you're saying. A hundred bucks doesn't go very far at Stew-Mac. You can usually get what you need, though.

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I thought the point of the felt washer is to make a *better* connection between the strap button and the bass body. At least on the Fenders, the body is curved and the strap button is flat.

It has the second advantage of absorbing some of the vibrations so that the screw does not work out.

I buy my felts pre-made at http://guitarpartscanada.com .

11. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    "I thought the point of the felt washer is to make a *better* connection between the strap button and the bass body"

I agree. I think that's exactly the point. I don't, however concede the point.

As I said, what I posted is my personal opinion. I could go into the reasons that I don't believe that felt or rubber washers accomplish the "point" but it may sound like I'm suggesting that others remove the washers from thier basses. I'm not!

"It has the second advantage of absorbing some of the vibrations so that the screw does not work out"

That's assuming that the vibration is actually causing the screws to back out. If that was the case, I would use a more proven and accepted method to avoid the problem than a flexible washer to lock the screw. I don't really see the washer acting as a 'Lock washer" of sorts.

If vibration was causing the screw to loosen, there are many widely accepted methods (threaded inserts, loc-tite chemical products, etc.) that work, and are more conventional in engineering practice.

It does make for interesting discussion, though. :)

12. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Well, I did indeed end up using felt. When I went to good ole' Wal-Mart they were actually out of washers. So, I just bought some felt over at the arts and crafts or whatever. Seems to be working just fine.

13. zonajoe

zonajoe

Aug 1, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Home Depot has the Black Felt washers in the department where they sell screws and nuts. Very cheap.