1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement fretted neck for Squier Vintage Modified Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by friskinator, Feb 21, 2008.

1. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    I'm interested in getting the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz fretless and replacing the neck with a fretted one. Will any standard Jazz neck fit nicely, or are some a better fit than others? Any help is appreciated - thanks!

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Why not get the fretted one? Is it the finish?

3. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Yeah, I just like the look of the fretless version's body better.

4. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Cool, I like it too, I once swapped the neck with a MIM Fender, just to see how close they are, and only for the screw holes they swapped perfect.
    I woul assume that a aftermarket Fender neck, mabye a Warmoth or MightyMite would be fine.

5. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    So the MIM neck won't fit? There's one I'm looking at that I could get for cheap w/tuners and all, but I won't buy it if it isn't a perfect fit.

6. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    In general the Fender (and presumably Squier) neck-pockets tend to be "oversized". At least with mine, and any I've seen recently...

...whether intentional or not, this allows you to change the neck angle a bit, to ensure that the the low or high string isn't too close to the edge of the fretboard.

Since I don't have a drill-press, I'd prefer a pre-drilled neck, but the best approach is to get a neck that does not have the holes pre-drilled so you can properly line-up your neck (as implied above). If you hand-drill, it would be hard to drill the holes precisely perpendicular to the neck.

At best, you'd be lucky if your neck was properly aligned by swapping necks (but it could happen!).

7. friskinator

Apr 5, 2007
    Montreal, QC
    Thanks for the input! I wish Squier would have released a fretted version of this bass. From what I'm hearing, fitting a fretted neck on this bass may be harder than I imagined.

8. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Nope, the neck was a perfect fit, the problem was that the screw holes weren't, so to permantly do it, the holes need to be filled and redrilled to suit.
    No biggie really.