Replacement Geddy Lee

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrDuncan, Oct 21, 2005.

1. After several months of waiting I now have a brand new Geddy Lee Jazz. My first one was taken for repair in April and once it was deemed that the nech could not be repaired Fender sent me a brand new one. Must say I'm very pleased with the service of Fender (although it was kinda slow) and the new Geddy has proven to be a whole new experience to play once again. Just hope that I have no problems with this one as I did the last one. Has anyone out there had any major problems with theirs that I may want to look out for?
  2. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    What was wrong with the first one?
  3. The neck was bowed very badly and it caused some horrible fret buzz on the G string from the 1st to 9th fret. According to my shop I bought it from and Fender it was a manufacturing defect. Personally I had not a clue what caused it so who am I to argue with the experts?
  4. My son owned 2 of them at different times and there were never any severe neck problems. Because the neck is so thin it needed a few more adjustments than some other basses in our household, but we live in New England and have pretty extreme temperature variations. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you - just enjoy the bass.

Rick B.
  5. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I'm a boutique bass lover, but I also love the Geddy Lee Jazz basses. I've only played a couple in stores, but have loved both.
  6. The tuning machines are pretty bad. At least on mine.
  7. To be honest, I found on my last one that the tuners were rather poor but the new one seems to be of better quality in that area. They seem to be the same kind so I'm not sure why they seem better on this one.