1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement guard for SX P-bass ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyRay, Apr 8, 2009.

1. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Where can I find them ? I remember reading that they are not compatible with Fender replacement parts.

Thanks.

2. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    A dremel tool or a file, and about 5 to 10 minutes worth of work is all it takes to get a Fender gurad to fit an SX.

Your other option is to have one custom made using your guard as a template.

3. BillyRay

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Wich area(s) need work ?

4. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    On the P basses, just around the neck opening.

Use the SX guard as a guide. Line up the pickup openings, and use a marker and trace the SX opening on the Fender guard.

File/Dremel away the extra plastic, and you're done.

5. bspot

bspot

Sep 9, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    Where is the best place to buy those Fender guards? I have a SX 5'er that I'm happy with as-is, but I want to get a white jazz and pop on a red tort p-guard on it.

6. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Any guitar store, Musicians Friend, Ebay.

Finding a Fender style replacement pickguard should be pretty easy.

Depends on what kind of quality you want, and how much you're willing to spend.

Red tortoise will be a little more difficult to search out, as most Tortoise guards are brown.

Also the J bass guards need to be modified where they meet the control plate.

7. bspot

bspot

Sep 9, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks savit - Just did a search and see that Allparts.com has a red tort pguard for $38...

8. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    If you're looking for white or black, just contact Kurt at rondo, he may be able to help you out. Even if it's not on the site, he's usually able to work something out!

9. BillyRay

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I'm looking for Mint or Parchment.

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Keep in mind that the Allparts guard is a screenprint tort pattern on a vinyl guard.

IMO those are a little pricey for what you're getting.

11. Magical_Merlin

Magical_Merlin

Nov 2, 2008
    Kent, WA
    Any experience with the pick guards from guitarpartsusa.com?

12. bspot

bspot

Sep 9, 2008
    Charlotte NC

better option?

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    If you want to go the inexpensive route, you can probaby find a red tort , screenprint on vinyl guard on ebay for a whole lot less.

If you don't mind spending more money, a guard from Jeannies or Pickguardian is a good option for a high quality red tortoise guard.

IMO $38 is A LOT of money for a screenprinted guard. At that price I'd expect it to be closer to what the Stock Fender guards are. I'm assuming that those are a photo tort, as they look MUCH (IMO) better than the screenprinted ones.

14. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD