Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacement humbuckers for an L-2000?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Jan 6, 2005.

1. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    I love my L-2000 but i like a more traditional sound,the stock pick ups in it now seem to have more growl than i care for.Any pick up recommendations for a smoother and purer tone?

2. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    I'd recommend selling it and getting another bass.

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I'd agree...the pickup nearly defines the instrument.

4. Those pickups ARE that bass. You simply want another bass, really. I don't think anyone readily makes a drop in replacement for a G&L pup.

5. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    yeah you guys are probably right.the L-2000 seems better suited to rock and i'm moving in another direction.i think the p bass would be better suited for my style.Does anyone use this bass for more tradtional stuff?

6. Have you tried this bass in passive mode, or just cutting off the treble boost? Roll the treble knob back, or bring up a little more bootm? Solo the neck pickup? This bass CAN do "mellow" but you just have to set it that way....I think it's prolly the most versitile bass there is... in a way I contradict my last statement, but it's true. MAybe you DON'T want a different bass.

I'm not assuming you haven't run the gamut of settings in your tone quest...but if you have, and still cannot get it in the ballpark, well then, try diffrent strings (flats or whatever) and see if that knocks a little edge off. I know that preamp is super hot, as are the pups, but there ARE ways to reign in that beastie a bit.

Good luck with that.

7. chief ten beers

chief ten beers

Jan 4, 2005
    Yes i do usually run on passive mode with the tone knob down and i still get that ...growl.i'm looking for more of a p sound but maybe the right strings could be the answer.i think i'll experiment with strings before i give up on her.thanks

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I'm not sure how one can love a bass and incorporate a statement like "give up on it." If I love a bass and want another sound, I keep that bass and get another one for a different sound - if I want to be able to play them both. If I love the play and feel and the sound sucks, then I look for different pups. If I love the sound and the play and feel suck, I chuck the bass and keep the pups.

I recently picked up a pair of L - 2000 pups. Nice pups. Solo they do have Fender tone but with a heap of big Kahoona's with a fat tube- like tone - at least in series. And that's with TI flats You should be able to soften them up through the switching options. I initially wired them with a series HB, split inner, and outer coil option and split inners definetly softened them up. Some down time lately so I haven't been able to play to the usual tunes but I'd guess these pups will play to about anything passably or better.

Don't know what kind of eq'ing you've got but growl is a mid thing and in running the pups through a Korg Px4b I could soften them to any degree. Technique can significantly alter growl - hand position, finger angle, bite. Running strings real low so they graze the frets can enhance/create a grow that can be resolved but raising them a tad. Strings can make a significant difference in growl, at the least a set of flats would probably take you in a direction it sounds like you want to go - will reduce growl and soften tone.

1 3/4" x 3" 3/4" seems a bit of a freak pup shape so a pup swap may be a hard find and it's probably harder to find a pup set you like then strings - at leat I hit strings off the bat and the pup search is never ending.

You could spend a lot of time tweaking and it may just be easier to get another bass you like for whatever changes are forthcoming. But I'd hang on to the G & L if you really love it - at least long enough to where you know you're done with it and it's time to move it to someone who will use it.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I'm with the crowd on this one. If you don't like the sounds you get from the L-2000, then get another bass. If you are looking for a more P-like tone, I would recommend a P bass (no, I'm not trying to be a smartass). Seriously, a P bass will give you that mellower tone that you are looking for.

On the other hand, some eq can be used to tame the L-2000. Use the pickup selector to use the neck pickup only. Pluck the strings up close to the neck. The closer to the neck that you go, the smoother the sound that you will get. I would still try active mode, but I'd keep the bass very thick and the treble to your liking. Give it a try, you might just be able to coax another sound out.

10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1
    I replaced the G&L P/U's with Bart 72M45C soap bars. That didn't do it for me. I then replaced the G&L Pre with an Aguliar OPB-3 pre. That didn't do it for me either. I then re-installed the the G&L P/U's and tried them with the Aguilar pre. That did do it for me either. I then re-installed the G&L pre and sold the bass! That did it for me! Learn from my mistakes! :D

11. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    With the G&L basses, even the bridge is part of the tone. The locking saddles and the tab embedded into the body, plus the mass, create a tighter feel and more sustain than the Fender bent metal bridge.

I think if you'd gone ahead and replaced the body and bridge along with the pickups and pre it might have worked out :rolleyes:

12. Get a Deluxe P, and you can get all kinds of tones. You will be able to get that P tone and keep a more modern tone if you want it down the road.