Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacement in my brice 5

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CQBASS, Feb 14, 2005.

1. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Howdy all. I just got a Brice Douglas 5 string jazz bass. I love the neck, the pups blow. Does anybody know what will fit in this thing without mods? I love the sound of the barts in my Pedullas. I'd like a hi-fi jazz tone, but also the versatility to play other styles ie. dub, bluegrass, funk. If anybody knows what will fit in this bass and what is really versatile I'd really appreciate the help. Also, my budget is $200-300. I figure I'll eventually add a j-retro pre as well. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Dimarzio Ultra Jazz will fit the existing routing, but the pole pieces will not match on the B string. Bartolini also makes pickups that will fit (both 3.73'')

3. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Does string spacing matter with the barts or is it ok as long as the pup is under the strings? ie. are there pole pieces?

4. I got the 59ljcb set on my brice 5. String spacing doesn't matter cause they have blades instead of pole pieces.

5. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    Do you think the soapbar bc shape would fit in the neck position? How do the barts sound in your brice? I love the bass, but man those stock pups are awful.

6. The barts sound real nice, they tamed the harsh highs that the stock pups had. I now have a nice even frequency response. I also put a Badass bridge on it wich gave the bass a whole lot of punch. Which complemented the pickups really well.

7. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    so you put the "long" barts in, right? I'm assuming that bridge and neck are same size. Did you have to drill new holes or were they direct replacements? I think these with a j-retro would be the bomb.

8. I put the long on the bridge and the short on the neck. The holes were a little bit off, but it's nothing major. I think a J-Retro on this would the the bomb too.

9. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    I thought the pups were the same size on these things, I could be wrong. Is there any advantage to the differents size pups? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I wanna get this right the first time. Yeah, I'm gonna keep searching for a j-retro used. Funny to spend 3 times what the bass cost on the electronics but hey if you like the neck, why not?

10. I don't think so. The neck pup fits without leaving any gaps. Do a search on the bass in here. Someone took measurments.