Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacement j pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Phat Ham, Oct 11, 2000.

1. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I have a MIM Fender Squire Jazz Bass, and am thinking about replacing the pups and bridge. I looked at the Bass Player replacement pickup shootout on their website and based on that narrowed the choices down to the Lindy Fralin pups and the Fender Vintage Shop pups. I have also read a lot of posts on Talkbass recommending Basslines quarter pounders, but those did not receive good reviews. I just wanted to know everyone elses opinions on replacement j pups.

2. I used a DP123 set. $90, humbucking, sounds cool. Check my profile for my likes to see if you'd go for my ideal sound.

Chris

3. Seymour Duncan's Classic Jazz Stack PU's get my vote. Stacked humbuckers, so no hum when using only one pickup.

Bert

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I read the Bass Player shootout too. But I wound up getting the Bartolini 9S's for my '97 Fender MIA Jazz. The Barts didn't do well in the shootout but I'm very glad that I put them in.They are terrific Jazz pups. I like them so much I'm going to try a Bart 8S in my '75 Precision.
    I certainly valued the opinions in the shootout but I choose to listen more to the opinions of Bart users in this and other forums. It was a good choice.

5. A strange choice since the Bartolini 9S PU's didn't feature in the BP shootout...

Bert

6. I am a staunch advocate of the SD 1/4 Pounders. They are one of the best sounding Jazz pickups I've heard and/or played. They sound huge, heavy, and crystal clear.

7. I agree. Love mine!

8. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    I'll cast my vote for the Kent Armstrong "Hot Vintage Jazz". I have them in my main 4 string, and they have it all. Clarity, output, great tone, and they look good too....LOL

9. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I'm getting a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz's today, and i'll let you know how they A/B to a set of Fender Classic Jazz pickups, which are in the bass right now.

If i had to suggest your pickups based on what you stated, go with the Fralins and get the split coil ones. That way you can go to the wonderful p-bass like neck sound, or jaco bridge sound without the hum.