Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Jazz neck suggestions. . . ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Hello All,

I'm new here--hello! I recently scored a sweet USA p-bass deluxe from a friend who bought it but never played it at all.:cool: It has an ash body, a maple neck and I really like the tone. However, here's the problem--I've only played jazz basses (ten plus years) and never owned a p-profile neck until now. After my first 8-9 hours on the bass, I'm feeling a pain in my arm, about halfway to the elbow. It's on the part of the arm that touches that table when I hold a bottle of (root) beer.

My questions are 1.) has anyone ever had a similar sensation going from jazz necks to p-bass necks and does it pass "after you get used to it" ? and 2.) I'm thinking of selling this neck (with the graphite strips and everything) on ebay and buying a jazz neck. Who would you all recommend as far as replacement necks go? How much would a maple fboard jazz neck run?

Thanks!!

2. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I have a j-bass and a p-bass. For me, i've prefered jazz necks. Playing on the jazz bass (and all slim neck basses) have always been much easier, so i wouldn't say i am used to p-necks, although i don't have trouble with them, it is just they are more difficult to play on (with me.)

Warmoth necks are held in high regard. You can get a maple/maple one from the warmoth thrift shop around $150 without nut, string tree, and pegs (you could just use the ones on the p-bass.) You could also go for something different besides maple (graphite) and get a moses neck for around $220-$250 new, and you don't need to finish it.

www.warmoth.com
    you can get moses necks at black rose custom (forget url), musician's friend, and TNT custom guitars.

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I recently changed the neck on my Jazz from a stock rosewood fingerboard type neck to a solid one-piece maple neck by Mightymite. This neck is licensed by Fender, so it has the same dimensions and headstock shape as a Fender Jazz neck. no graphite bars. I've been very happy with it. It needed a few tweaks of the truss rod when I first got it, and it's been very stable ever since since - about 9 months now.

I bought it for $99, mail order, from Victor Litz Music. At that price, I didn't mind taking a chance. The neck comes with frets, a nut, some sort of sealant finish, and tuning machine holes pre-drilled. All you need to do is to finish it with oil, satin lacquer, or gloss laquer. then drill some "helper" holes for the mounting screws for the tuning machines. You also need to drill the mounting holes into the neck for the neck-to-body joint. This is a little tricky, but anyone with some common sense can figure out how to do it.

I've heard great comments about the quality of Warmoth necks. Naturally, you'll pay a little more because of the superior quality and well-known name.

Here's are the sites, if you'd like to check these Mightymite necks out. The Jazz necks don't seem to be currently listed at the Litz site. I suggest that you call the 1-800 number listed at the site and ask them anyway.

http://www.victorlitz.com/mightymite.htm

http://www.mightymite.com

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Mightymite maple neck, after finishing with 4 coats of high gloss nitro cellullose lacquer.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    back of neck

6. the best fender replacement necks are offered by warmoth and moses IMO

7. Keep in mind that profile and neck width are two seperate issues, each having their own effect on the left hand. Warmoth P necks have the same profile (front to back measurements) as the coveted 62' Jazz's. Only the width at the nut is like the original P. This makes it quite different from a stock P and it's very comfortable. Warmoth P's are not baseball bats.

So, you don't have to consider a complete change in the type of bass (P body w/J neck) just to get a thinner neck.

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    thanks for the input! I just found out today that since the deluxes have 22 frets, warmoth necks won't fit. It says as much on the site. I guess I'll have to sell the whole bass. I'm still going to come out ahead on the sale given the low price my friend asked for the bass in the first place, but I'm bummed since this is otherwise a great bass for me. Alas. Thanks guys!

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    WHOAAAAAAAAA!!! Hold on a sec, there pardner. Before you chuck the P, you should check out www.usacustomguitars.com. Give Tommy a call and he can set you up with what you're looking for. I'm getting ready to order Jazz bass parts from them and, although I haven't seen anything that they've done, they are all former Warmoth guys who seem to be craking out a superior product....not to mention the absolute highest in customer service. Of course, you could always buy a Fender replacement neck (as they now make replacement parts), but with USA Custom Guitars, you can get the fret size, finish, neck material, and fretboard material of your choice...not to mention graphite reinforcement.