Replacement jazz pickup for Warwick Jazzman

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mo' bass, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Hi Guys and Gals,

I have a Warwick FNA Jazzman 5 bass. It has a large "music man" pickup and a jazz neck pickup.

I have seen the other Warwick pickup thread and the consensus is that in order to keep the Warick sound, keep the MEC's and maybe update the electronics. Well, the FNA already has SD Basslines electronics (thank you Warwick). I also love the sound of the MEC large pole MM pickup.

However, I'm beginning to dislike the sound of the neck pickup. Any ideas for a replacement pup that would fit right in??? I would like one with a higher output than the stock MEC and nicer (less harsh) sound.

Other question, I read on the SD site that the basslines 3 band electronics can also be used on 18Volts. Can I also let my Warwick run on 18Volts? I assume I can because the pickups are passive...

Thanx for your time!

2. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I used to have a 97 thumb neckthrough that had the stock MEC pickups, and electronics in it. I have sinced switched to an 87 thumb neckthrough. It has the stock EMG pickups in it. It still has the warwick sound, but is quieter, and has better low end definition. An EMG jazz pick up might be what the doctor ordered.
  3. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Thanx. That's worth checking out!
  4. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000

Hmmz, my basslines 3 band pre-amp is designed for passive pups... I think that there will be some sort of impedance problem with an active pup. I saw passive pups on the EMG site(40HZ)... are they as good as their active counterparts?? (from the picture it looks as though they won't fit anyways...)

I think i've found something on the Barolini site. But they only seem to sell in pairs...
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, the blend pot on your basslines preamp will have an impedance suitable for passive pickups. Mixing that with an active neck pickup won't give great results.

The passive EMG's are supposedly great, but from what I can see they only do soapbar size. I have a set of EMG LJ's in my Thumb5, and they suit the Thumb very well.

If you want to buy a single bart pickup, try emailing Jack Read at

You could also consider a passive J pickup from the Seymour Duncan range, they have a number of different ones to suit different tone requirements. If you're getting one, you'll probably have to order a bridge model to fit the neck 3.75" route.
    Warmoth or have the full SD selection available for order.
  6. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Thanks David. A lot of usefull info!