1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement JJ Pickups - 4 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joseph Draxx, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Hi Guys,

I am sorry if this has been asked before - the forum will not let me search for "JJ" as its too short!

I have decided to replace the pickups on my USA P DLX, and remove the preamp (making it passive).

Can you please suggest companies that make 'double jazz' or 'JJ' pickups that would be a drop in replacement for the bridge jazzbucker on the 4 string P deluxe?

Thanks!

2. Anyone?

3. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    no idea compadre. glue 2 jazzes together?

4. tonejunkie

tonejunkie

Dec 11, 2006
    Cape Coral, FL
    I was on a search for them before. I noticed a link on someone's two days ago and found this company(although they are "over the pond")

http://www.magneticspickups.com/eng/basso-lpc.php?tipo=%
    They call it a "double jazz"

You know, depending on what you're looking for, you might be able to support some of our own TBers. Check out the Luthier's forum. There's some Luthiers there who wind their own pickups and they may be able to help you out. There's several threads in there about winding your own pickups and they seem like nice folk.

I did find some on fleabay but I sure would rather know exactly what I'm getting into before throwing a new pickup in my Deluxe P. All the best!

So... why you are going passive? This seems like an awesome bass, so I find it curious.. Just wondering

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Another thread on this same forum has a link to www.delano.de which makes a pickup as you describe.

6. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    warwick used a pickup which was two jazzes together i believe in the fortress masterman bass they released (and then discontinued)

So MEC perhaps?

7. I love the feel of this bass I just find the tone to be a bit tinny/thin.

I don't like the bridge pick-up very much. All I ever use it for is to blend it in a little when drop tuned to add a bit more punch on the low notes.

I might try changing the preamp as well, I don't think the fender one is very usable - to me it only sounds good when set flat, or the slightest off flat. Anything else and it becomes to honky/boomy/noisey.

These are just my experiences with it - I'm sure lost of people love it but for what I do and the sound I'm after I normally just leave the Volume set to 90%, the Blend set to Neck60/40Bridge, Bass Flat, Treble Flat, Mid a Notch off flat.

On the other hand last time I recorded the engineer and band loved its sound.

edit: I guess overall I feel like I am only getting one or two sounds I use out of a 2 pickup active bass and maybe its time to try something different.

8. superkicky

superkicky Guest

Sep 3, 2005
    try searching for rio grande powerbuckers.. might be what you're looking for.