Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement J's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by relman, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Has anyone tried replacing an MIM jazz's pups with those vintage ones fender sells? Are they amazing, good, bad, horrible...?

Oh, and would there be a big decrease in high end if you were to replace the stocks w/bartolini or Seymour duncan Stack humbuckers?

2. ANYONE?????????????

3. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I have the Fender Custom Shop 60's Jazz pups in my 77 Jazz and they sound killer. I also had them in my Geddy Lee Jbass when I sold it.

4. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I would recommend the bassplayer shootout article. Its got to be the best source. I ordered a set of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz's. Seemed to me the best all around value for the sound and they are humbucking to. Anyway you should do your own comparison.

5. Jato

Jato

Nov 2, 2000
    Thanks for the website reference!
    My bass player (I play too, but my pup needs are set) friend has an american std j bass, and want "old style" looking j pickups that will make his bass come alive.
    After looking at the article, and giving him the address, I recommended either the fender custom shop 160's, or the DiMarzio Model J's (DP123)...as he wants the pole pieces visible.
    Guess we'll see how it turns out!

6. Is it possible to block hum w/o stacked humbuckers????

7. On the American Jazz, the pickups are made so that if both pickups are turned up equally, they form a humbucker. So that's one way to do it. On the Dimarzio J's, each pickup is actually made with 2 windings, one for the E and A, and another for the D and G strings. These are made so the hum from one winding cancels the hum from the other winding, but they are not stacked. They are laid end to end. The cool thing about it is the fact that you can run one pickup by itself with no hum. I love my Dimarzio DP123's - both pairs!

The Seymour Duncan Jazz Stacks have 2 windings in each pickup for hum-cancelling, but each winding picks up all 4 strings, I think.

Chris

8. Affirmative! SD Classic Jazz Stacks are awesome pickups BTW. Classic tone, no hum.

Bert

9. Are they really vintage-y?

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    i heard that the pick ups in the mim jazz are both the same size. I dont know if its true or not, but if it is you have to be careful cos the neck p/u on j bass's is usually bigger and this could result in you having to route out some space on your mim jazz to make a replacement one fit.....

have you considered getting the p/u from the mia jazz bass deluxe? those are noiseless and sound great, or even the ones from the mim deluxe active jazz bass, those are stacked humbuckers, and sound great too.

11. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
  12. Yup, split coil j's

13. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil