1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement knobs size?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KYJazzy, Nov 30, 2006.

1. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    I bought a used P-bass that for whatever reason was sent without vol/tone knobs. I'm trying to find replacements and I'm hoping to avoid the "official Fenders" for 18 BUCKS. (9 bucks? for a little chrome thimble?)

Bought some cheap knob replacements at guitar center that looked like they matched, only they wouldn't go on the pot for anything. Is there a standardized size I can reference??? Are telecaster and P bass knobs the exact same size? Is there a pot size shaft difference? What fits a std. P bass? thanks for your help

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I bought some nice knurled brass knobs for my MIM P Bass from www.guitarfetish.com

Since there's a Music Go Round store in Louisville, you might want to check with them to see if they have any appropriate knobs for your bass.

You could always use ones with a set screw...just make sure that you have the set screw pointing toward the slot in the pot's shaft or you'll ruin the pot.

3. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    ok, the guy sent two replacement knobs with set screws on the sides but they still don't fit. The hole that fits on the shaft will go on about halfway then stop and be crooked and wobble a bit, so the knob is about a good distance off the pickguard. And yeah I made sure the set screw isn't protruding on the inside before. How do you get them on properly? or are they just too small?

what size knobs do fender P's need, 6mm or 1/4"? I can't even tell the difference. I swear this is the most frustrating thing ever.

I also used a tape measure and the pots (which are solid shaft btw) look to be about 1/4" in diameter, but so do the knob cavities when I measure them. when I put them on they're a good 1/8" off the pickguard and the nut is significantly exposed. big thanks to anyone who can help me on this.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Sounds like you're finding out why it has no knobs.

Can you post a picture?

BTW, you can cut pot shafts to length. I use a very fine tooth Xacto saw blade and clean it up with a file.

5. KYJazzy

KYJazzy

Nov 10, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    potpic.

potmeasure.

crookedness.

cavitymeasure.

top.

sidebyside.

hope these help some. I really don't know what's wrong