1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement Mesa Boogie volume pot with wrong value?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ficelles, Nov 25, 2017.

1. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Slightly off-topic dumb amp electronics question as this is for a guitar amp, namely a Mesa Boogie Nomad 45:

Main volume pot pretty much dead (horrendous crackle, cutout etc), should be 100k Linear according to the Mesa part number.

I want to replace it tomorrow (Sunday) temporarily and the closest I can find in my spares box is either a cheap 100KA from a Schaller double bass pickup, or an unused 250KB supplied by Mesa ages back for a Subway Blues. Will the 250KB be really too much the wrong thing? The 100KA looks like it will melt, although I know it probably won’t...

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    100K-A is the best substitute, but if you call the factory on Monday, they have the correct replacement available.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  3. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Thanks, I was going to get the correct part but want to do more fault tracing tomorrow to see if I will need to order anything else, I will go with the Schaller pot for now. Your advice is always appreciated :)

Old Garage-Bander and agedhorse like this.
  4. A volume pot normally has an audio/log taper why the linear?

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Depends in the circuit it's being used in. It's possible to load a linear pot so it behaves log like.

Passinwind and BassmanPaul like this.
  6. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Update to this... being in England I don’t talk direct with Mesa but go through their dealer Westside Distribution in Scotland, who as always were a total pleasure to deal with and paid as much attention to a low-value order for a couple of potentiometers from an occasional non-trade customer as you would expect them to give a main dealer. Kudos. And amp now all fixed of course :)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
    agedhorse likes this.