Replacement neck and tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by codiak, Jul 16, 2020.

1. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    So I ordered a replacement neck for my P bass. The standard Fender maple neck. I see it comes with pilot holes for Mexican tuners. However, I’d like to put some American tuners on it and use the stealth string retainer I have for the A string.

The problem I’m running into is finding if the peg hole will fit in the Mexican neck or if I’ll have to fill any of the pilot holes to mount them. Has anyone tried this already?

the part number for the tuners I’m looking at is 009-7336-049, the neck is just the standard MIM maple neck, not roasted.

2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Why not ask the people you are getting the neck from?

3. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I ordered it from Stratosphere, their response was that al items are packaged and stored for shipping so they are unable to answer my question.

4. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    Ugh! Not good customer service. They should know. Hopefully a Fender guru will show up and answer.

5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    In short the tuners would be a sloppy fit. The hole is 0.0465 inches larger than the tuner. Some copper tape around the bushing would tighten things right up; if your OCD can handle that.
    MIM Jazz:
    MEASUREMENTS
    • Fingerboard Radius
      9.5" (241 mm)
    • Scale Length
      34" (86.36 cm)
    • Nut Width
      1.5" (38.1 mm)
    • Number of Frets
    • Fret Size
      Medium Jumbo
    • Headstock Thickness
      .540” (13.71 mm)
    • Neck Thickness
      1st Fret - .820” (20.82 mm), 12th Fret - .870” (22.09 mm)
    • Peg Hole Diameter
      .734” (18.64 mm)
    MIM P
    MEASUREMENTS
    • Fingerboard Radius
      9.5" (241 mm)
    • Scale Length
      34" (86.36 cm)
    • Nut Width
      1.625" (41.3 mm)
    • Number of Frets
    • Fret Size
      Medium Jumbo
    • Headstock Thickness
      .540” (13.71 mm)
    • Neck Thickness
      1st Fret - .820” (20.82 mm), 12th Fret - .870” (22.09 mm)
    • Peg Hole Diameter
      .734” (18.64 mm)
    009-7336-049
    (4) Genuine Fender chrome new style "F" logo stamp bass tuners for American Standard, Deluxe and Dimension Bass. Features modern semi-open gear design with traditional clover keys and "Authentic Fender" stamped on the gears. Includes screw-in bushings and face washers. Requires 11/16" peghead holes. Each tuner has two mounting pins on the back. (11/16 = 0.6875)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  6. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I got that, I’m talking about the diameter of the specific tuners

7. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

American tuners are smaller than MIM

8. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The diameter of the tuner doesn't mean squat The post is proud of the headstock. The only dimension for that hole that matters is the diameter of the bushing. You have than information. The dimension I get concerned about and never see mentioned in these threads is the offset of the post hole from the edge of the head stock. Which is just as well I guess since I can never find those dimensions.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021