Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement neck for 3-bolt G&L

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by dgce, Mar 13, 2006.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thinking of turning an old G&L SB-1 bass to fretless. Figured ordering a lined fretless neck from Warmoth would be the most simple and reliable route to take. However this is the old 3-bolt G&L neck. Does Warmoth make replacement necks for 3-bolt designs? I'm sure they can do a custom job for me, but I don't want to break the bank here.

2nd question, this bass has a Precision style neck. If I were to replace it, I'd prefer a Jazz styled neck. Will a J neck fit correctly into a P instrument?

r

2. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Follow up question: does G&L make replacement necks in old 3-bolt format? Think I could score a lined fretless? How much do you think it'd run me?

r

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wow, no suggestions from anyone?--sniff sniff...

r

4. I think they use the 3 bolt on the ASAT mdl, so they should be able to make it for you.

5. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've emailed G&L and Warmouth; no word back yet. Now I'm sure Warmouth can make me anything I want but a custom job could cost me a bankload of cash! If either or some other company has these necks for conventional order, I'm interested. Otherwise I just assume have my G&L neck converted to fretless which a local tech guy says could run me about $240 give or take. I can do that, but I wouldn't mind having the option of returning the bass to its original state, hence this quest for a replacement. And heck, I could always just buy a used MIM Jazz fretless off eBay on the cheap too. But I already own a good back up bass that gets little to no play; why not do something with it?

If anyone else has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

r

6. I would call G&L, they always seem slow with email responses IMO.

7. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    To the best anyone knows there is no replacement neck ala Warmoth for Fenders.

Status or Moses make a graphite neck for the Stingray that may work.

Jim

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I never received a word back from G&L or a near by G&L dealership regarding the 3-bolt replacement neck. A local bass tech guy I know said he could order a custom job from a guy he uses in New Jersey (didn't catch the name). However given the price I might as well have the current neck defretted by this tech guy whose work is excellent and I totally trust. I never thought this 3-bolt thing would be such a big deal but apparently it is.

Thanks for yr suggestions.

r

9. John Webb

John Webb

Apr 20, 2006
    Myrtle Beach,SC
    JB1 or JB2.

I see Moses make them. Anyone else??

10. I would get in touch with a dealer. I went through www.Gutarmannyc.com. I ordered an L-2000 with a p neck. I forget which number exactly. The neck is really fat. I asked him what i could do if it became too much of a burden to play and he suggested that I send it back to the factory for a new neck, jazz sized, for $300. This way I wouldn't void the warrenty.

11. coastal-tony

coastal-tony

Dec 3, 2006
    S. Florida
    Look at evilbay # 320070066801. I am heading to Ft Laud. this afternoon to snag one for my older SB-2

12. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    you could also ask USACG (USA Custom Guitars)- they claim to be able to make custom necks to your specs, but they would probably cost just as much as a new neck straight from G&L...
    Karl

13. coastal-tony

coastal-tony

Dec 3, 2006
    S. Florida
    I couldn't get of work early enough, but these fretless necks are sell for around $105.00 shipped.

14. BIGBEE

BIGBEE

May 27, 2006
    those necks will not fit your g&l with out some routing(ouch)
    and i would not alter an old g&l(IMO) if you want to try a
    fretless snag a SX bass for not much more than youre paying for the mm neck, just food for thought. good luck whatever you decide. cheers steve

15. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
    Fender necks are one fret shorter anyhow. That alone makes them not fit.

Jim