replacement necks - vintage gibson

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gord, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    hey guys,
    I'm looking at buying a G3, but it has a bad neck. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be cheaper to just buy a neck instead of installing a new truss rod and everything. I've heard a single story of someone getting a grabber neck from gibson, but if anyone knows anything I'd appreciate it!
  2. I seriously doubt that you could buy a new neck for a discontinued 30 year old Gibson bass - even NOS - for less money than a removing the fretboard and fixing the TR. That process would run in the $300-$400 range I would guess and a new neck, well... :rollno:
  3. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    they do pop up on ebay once in awhile, if you have enough patience.
  4. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    there's one on the bay right now actually, some guy is selling his gibson grabber in parts :rolleyes: anyways thanks guys, next time I'll use common sense :bag:
  5. You guys aren't distinguishing between a "new" neck and an old one to replace the this one. There's a huge difference though maybe not in price. :D
  6. C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada

Question: what's NOS?
  7. Gord

Jan 10, 2004
    BC, Canada
    new old stock (I think?) old stuff that's not used but kept around for whatever reason, in new condition. At least that's my understanding of it
  8. New Old Stock - sort of the holy grail of parts. These are parts that were manufactured way back when and then shelved - sometimes they're forgotten and found later.

Just imagine a NOS '62 Jazz with hangtags! :eek:
  9. LOL...Tom Wheeler's prayer, "Lord, send me back to 1959 with $50,000 cash."