Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jugdish, Aug 14, 2000.

1. jugdish

jugdish

May 25, 2000
    Orange County
    I have a MIM Fender jazz and wanted to get a maple neck instead of the rosewood. Anyone here know how much those run?
    And could a p-bass neck fit into the j-bass slot I like the width of the p-bass but the body of the jazz. Would the scale length be the same.
    Thanks for the help

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nope, P-bass neck wouldnt fit. Same scale length, but its wider, so it wouldnt fit in the slot.

The replacement necks run about $200-$400, and you can get them most anywhere.

3. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I'm not positive but I think the neck will fit. Even tho the P bass neck is wider at the nut I think the pocket size is the same. There is a Precision at BassNW for sale that has a Jazz Neck on it. And of course for $300 you could buy a new MIM.

Mike

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't know if they are still the same as they were in the 70's, but I knew a lot of guys back in the day who put Jazz necks on their P bass and vice versa. The neck pocket USED to be the same, but I don't know if they still are.

But Fender and Warmoth both make J width necks in a variety of fingerboard radii and thickness profiles.

Well, Warmoth does anyway, I think the genuine Fenders are limited to a couple of choices.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    [​IMG]

68 Jazz with P bass neck.

6. embellisher

Hey, Brad, it's hard to tell from the picture, but is that the narrower 'A' P bass neck? It doesn't look as wide as a regular P in that photo.

7. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    on the warmoth site, there are some diagrams, formulae, dimensions, and faqs that may help you figure it out.

and btw, i could be wrong, but i think their listing for a neck with a maple fingerboard is $187(+ ttl).

8. embellisher

To quote somebody's tagline, yer RIGHT!

:D

9. RussP

RussP

Jun 15, 2000
    Yes the Jazz and P bass necks are interchangable I've switched & I know it works.

Try [www.guitarshop.net] the have a maple Jazz neck for 100.00. Ph # 1 800 637 9079

Good Luck;

RussP

10. jugdish

jugdish

May 25, 2000
    Orange County
    Thanks a bunch everyone.

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Really? Well, i guess you learn something new every once in a while. I was always told they wouldnt fit! But cool.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's a 77 P neck that still looks brand new. I've had the bass for about 15 years, bought it, with a tube guitar amp, for $125. I've never measured the width but it is wider than a Jazz and consistent with most P's I've played. I like the feel more than a Jazz neck but I prefer the Jazz sound,

13. embellisher

That's why it's cool to make it your own bass by making it fit YOU!

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Brad,

It very well may be a "B" width neck or halfway between a J and P neck. Fender "A" necks are 1.5" wide at the nut; "B" necks are 1.625" wide at the nut and "C" necks are 1.75" wide at the nut. They used a lot of "B" width necks on the late 70's P-Basses. You can either measure the width at the nut or remove the neck and look for a letter stamped on the base of the neck.

15. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Fender vintage replacement necks are $296 on Musiciansfriend's website. I couldn't see that they carried any other kind of Fender neck. I'm looking for a neck now because of a developing bow in my MIA P bass. Yesterday I took it to our local guitar shop to see what they could do. Several people gathered around and we stood there staring at it like it was a puppy run over by a car. Ruined my week.

16. timlikehim

timlikehim

Jan 2, 2009
    on a whim, i bought a p bass body on ebay and decided to build my own bass. i finally got the might mite Fender lic. neck I bought, only to discover the neck is 1/8" wider than the neck pocket on the body. Upon further review, the auction for the neck claimed the neck pocket width to be 2 3/16" wide, which is in fact incorrect. What do I do now?? I really don't like the idea of having to return the neck, but can I alter the body or neck so they fit together without forever destroying my chances of the bass staying in tune and intonated????

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    This may be the biggest bump I've ever seen. This thread is over 8 years old.

18. timlikehim

timlikehim

Jan 2, 2009
    Hey thanks guys! I found this forum when i did a google search. never even thought to look to see how old it was. i probably should have posted this as a new thread. ANYWAY...can anyone help a bother out?

19. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    its cool stuff like this does happen. I did something similar that I havent finished yet, but I used masking tape down the body and took my dremel to the body to make it wider to fit other than that all i can say is find a neck that fits.