1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement Nut for Epiphone EB0?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by El Pelusa, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Hey guys!

I recently converted a Epiphone EB0 to left handed. I flipped the nut but it’s not ideal.

Is there somewhere I can get a quality replacement (brass, bone..) left handed?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Each nut is made for a bass. You cant just buy one. Even Tusk looks like a finished nut, but those are dummy slots to help with spacing. Chances are good width will not be spot on either. Its a job for a tech or luthier.

El Pelusa likes this.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I doubt you're going to find a pre-cut nut of any description for an EB-0 bass; especially a left handed one. I'm a lefty, too, and in cases like this, I just get a lefty blank - I prefer Tusq nuts - and just have a good guitar tech/luthier cut the slots, and install it. It's not that expensive. Just be sure to tell him how much nut clearance you want at the first fret (I like about 0.022 myself)...:thumbsup:

El Pelusa likes this.
  4. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    If you're good with tools, have a decent eye and some patience, pick up a blank or two and DIY...

El Pelusa likes this.
  5. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    A really good eye, measuring tools in 64ths. And really good with tools. I've been making nuts for forty years. The first ten were crap.

Son of Wobble and El Pelusa like this.
  6. Just get a new one put in at your local shop.

El Pelusa likes this.
  7. Thanks to everyone that responded. Looks like I’ll be taking my bass to the shop to get looked at.

8. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    There isn't much to screw up here, other than the nut. Seems like you're heading for the tech but I recommend you try and make your own, you can adjust the action to your liking. A blank nut doesn't cost much...plastic, bone, whatever you choose, honestly you won't hear much difference between one or the other. Good luck.

UNICORN BASS and El Pelusa like this.
  9. I would like to “have a go” at making a new one. I just don’t want to damage my bass doing it

10. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    The nice thing is- You only need a $100 worth of tools to make a $60 nut. Go for it!

11. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    60 dollar nut, 100 for a couple of round jeweler files a a piece of sand paper?!
    Wow where do you shop? I'd like to sell you some stuff!

UNICORN BASS and Son of Wobble like this.
  12. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I shop at stew mac mostly. Nut files cost 20 each, you need four. You can sand bone or tusk till your blue in the face, it's hard stuff. You probably can make an ugly nut that rattles and doesn't stay in tune. A good one takes experience, and some finesse. Jewellers files make super crappy nuts...and you still need four.
    And...sell me one of your homemade nuts, I'll bring it to show and tell at a luthiers convention on how not to make a nut.

13. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    I'm assuming you feel only a luthier can make a nut and only stewmac sells files. That's pretty poor advice.
    The OP has been given choices, I hope he makes the best decision.
    Peace.

14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Oh, nuts!

15. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Not at all. But I think he'll botch his first couple of attempts. An EBO has a Gibson style nut. Much harder to make than a fender style. I just looked up five of my tool suppliers. Stew mac was the cheapest. I found some no-name ones from China that would probably make one or two nuts before crapping out.
    I too hope he makes an informed descision.

16. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    I make all my own nuts, bone and brass. You really can't damage your bass. Practice makes perfect, i have a $10 set of needle files, a cheap hobby saw, and a set of terminal cleaners made for auto connectors, it's all you really need. Go ahead and try it!

El Pelusa likes this.
  17. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I’ve done quite a few nuts for my basses over the years, and it isn’t too difficult if you’re patient, good with tools, and have knowledge of what makes a nut work well. But, that’s for your typical J and P bass. For some basses, like my Gibson SG, I would just take it to a tech. Those nuts have little nuances that a tech can deal with far better and quicker than me.

18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    My fear as a neophyte would be not that i might ruin a nut ot two, but that I will chip the fretboard when tapping out the old nut.

19. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Dude, have a go. That particular nut is a bit more difficult than a p or j bass type, but if you’re down to try it then go ahead. I guarantee that some of the best techs out there started with the question of whether to make their own repairs, nuts, bridge, neck, etc. You might screw up, but that’s what learning is all about.

El Pelusa likes this.
  20. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I’ve done that. I’d love to see an answer other than ‘take it to a tech’ on how to avoid it. I tried applying constant pressure to remove my poly’d in nut. I feel as the light tap method would have been best. This was all after using a razor blade to cut the nut outline. Apparently the poly was applied in the channel, the nut put in when it wasn’t quite dry.

Son of Wobble likes this.