1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

replacement options for bartolini?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jbailes, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    Hello all,

Guess I'm gonna be the latest guy to throw Bartolini under the bus, here.
    Just picked up an Ibanez SR500, and to be honest, I just gotta get those pickups outta there.. Since I'm such a fan of how the Nordstrand J pups sound in one of my jazzes, I'm looking at replacing with Nordstrand Big Splits for the Ibby. As far as the preamp though, I don't really know. The bass has 5 total knobs and 1 switch. I see alot of positive comments about the Ag OPB-3, but I thought I'd get some opinions here.

p.s. as far as desired tones, of course I'm looking for a different sound than my jazz basses, and something that is very responsive to harmonics. Thanks in advance.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Does it have real Bart's or MK1's? Big difference.

I actually replaced Big Splits with USA Bart MK5's in my Lakland, the Big Splits were just TOO much. I liked the deeper punch of the Barts as opposed to the bright grind of the Splits (both are light years better than MK1's). Plus the Barts have tons of coil switching options you can do.

You'll probably want to replace the preamp too. Ibanez..well...uses the cheapest stuff possible on those basses.

3. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    They're the MK-1s (as fate would have it).

I was just on youtube hear a guy do Bach's cello suite on his old Ibby 6 string bass

says it has the big singles and an Ag OBP3. Sounds great

4. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    Big singles are awesome (just got sr1200 with them) - very open and clear. having said that, I've put Barts mk4 into my fretless (with ap 5.2 preamp) and I can't say that I like them less than Nordstrands. They are different, but both are high quality pickups - a matter of taste/choice.

5. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    If I may ask jg42, how do you feel the pickups differ?

6. jg42

jg42

Jul 12, 2012
    Toronto
    I'd say Nordstrands are more punchy, less mellow, yet still not as hi-fi as EMG (I have DC40 in yet another Ibby). If I would compare them to Barts, I'd say Nordstrands have more "in your face" presence. Barts are more refined and mellow, which is why I love them on my fretless.

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Good description. Like I said, the Nordy's were just 'too much' for me, and I like the versatility of the Barts with 4 separate coils.

But if you want a big, loud, in your face Jazz bass sound...nothing even comes close to Big Singles/Big Splits. Nordstrands are fantastic pickups.

8. jbailes

jbailes

Apr 5, 2012
    well, I appreciate the input guys. Very much so.