1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

replacement P/J pups for old school sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by perfectarc, Mar 14, 2008.

1. perfectarc

perfectarc

Dec 28, 2007
    I'm looking to replace the pups on my backup bass, an inexpensive yamaha with passive P/J setup. Sound I'm looking for--in the neighborhood of David Hood. Just a sweet, basic tone that nicely takes it's place in the mix. I want to stay with passive pups and try to stay around $150.
    I've heard good things about SD line and folks on TB have mentioned the dimarzio DP126. Any thoughts on these or any other pups that might fit the bill?

Thanks!

2. I am also interested in hearing what the community has to say about "old school" PJ sound. I am considering replacing the pup's in my Ken Rose. The sound I have now is too "thin" and "crunchy". I was considering putting flats on it... but I am also considering some new pups. I may try the flats first.

I used to love the sound the bass had when I was playing punk and metal... now I am playing more alt rock and jazz stuff. I play my J bass more now too.