1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement P pickups with different spacings.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fireball827, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Fireball827

Fireball827

Dec 15, 2017
    I'm thinking of upgrading the pickups on a bass soon (P/MM), but I've noticed that the P pickup has a 1.5 inch overlap between the two parts, rather than the traditional 3/4".

Does this throw anything off with replacement pickups?

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Is it a five string? Can you post a pic?

3. Fireball827

Fireball827

Dec 15, 2017
    It's a 4 string.
    preview_1.

JGbassman likes this.
  4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Delano will make them to your Spec.

They have the large pole pieces and they will help you get them perfectly lined up.

I am not sure about other companies but any custom shop should accommodate you.

Edit: Forgot to say, That's a very very Nice Schecter.

5. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    What are you trying to “upgrade” about the pickups? Are they bad?

96tbird likes this.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    That’s not a “straight-on” photo, so it’s a bit difficult to tell for sure, but Wilde P46 has wider than average coverage.

Slater likes this.
  7. Fireball827

Fireball827

Dec 15, 2017
    Thank you for all of your help, guys.

And FunkHead, what about the bladed pickups like the HE/M2 that Delano offers? Would they offset the strange spacing?

8. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    Looking at the Schecter website and comparing the 4 and 5 string versions, I think they may be using the same P pickup on both models. Might be a blade pickups under the hood to accommodate both configurations.

I suggest you measure the pickup and compare to other makers. Wilde P46 can be used on 4 or 5 string basses too, but I think it's the size of a regular 4 string P. Custom is always an option, but probably a waste of money.