Replacement P pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassman5, Nov 27, 2000.

1. I have a Fernandes P bass that has not so great pups on it. I was thinking of getting a pair of replacements, I would like to get pretty high quality passive pups because I am looking into the feild of tapping and the stock pups just cant pick it up. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thnx ~ Marty
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm not sure what sound exactly you're looking for. I have tried a few different P-pickups and I would think the Seymour Duncan SPB-3 might be what you're looking for. Strong lows and highs, with somewhat attenuated mids. However, you might be happier with something active, like the EMG-P, if you want a super-clean sound.
  3. I think its gunna have to be active for me. Any suggestions on some moderatly priced active P pickups?
    Are the EMG-P pickups active? thnx ~ Marty
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

All real EMGs are active, the ones that are not are the EMG HZ and Select by EMG.
  5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes, the EMG-P is active. Embellisher is correct, EMG makes a couple of lines of passive pickups, but they are known more for their actives. Go to and you can read all about them. Seymour Duncan, Bartolini, and Alembic all make actives for the P. The EMG's aren't too expensive, I think you can get them for around $85 if you try.

There are probably others, but these are the ones I can think of right now.
  6. jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Bartolini, fairly high output for a passive pickup and they sound awesome.
  7. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Another nod to Bartolini. I put the 8S model in my MIM P-Bass last March and it's the best sounding bass pup I've ever used.
  8. BazzMonkey

Aug 25, 2000
    Get the DiMarzio's Split Pbass pickups, each pickup has the power of a humbucker and it has laced pickup sensors so it'll pick up the sound no matter where the strings are and they have killer lows, nice mids, and the highs, well they are your normal highs for a Pbass pickup

The split Ps sound nice though and Dimarzio has good guides to tell u how to self install and everything, Musiciansfriend sells their pickups too so try it out, I think the pickups are only like 50-80$.
  9. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I think an SD 1/4-pounder or "Hot" P-Bass would be a good choice for tapping.
    And, they're usually available at your local Mars or G/C.

From the SD tone chart...
    1/4 pounder ~ "High output with lots of clarity and high-end punch"
    Hot P-Bass ~ "Warm, ultra fat and punchy"

The Yamaha Attitude co-designed by Billy Sheehan (a tappin' fool)
    uses a "DiMarzio P Style" in addition to a Model One type (Will Power?).
    I don't know if the P Style is custom wound. The DiMarzio
    model P (DP122) is available at Musician's Friend online.

(the SD's and the DiMarzios are passive)