1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement P pu for MIJ Deluxe P-Lyte

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gil_mor, Apr 18, 2010.

1. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    Hey,

A few months ago, I bought an 85 MIJ Deluxe P-Lyte.
    I love the way it feels, I don't like they way it sounds.

So - I've converted it to passive - MUCH better, Much Much better.
    Way more dynamic, and organic.

Now - I think I want more low end.
    My other bass has Dimarzio J+P on it, and it has WAY more low end.

I like the Dimarzio's aggressiveness, but I'd like to experiment with other warm P pickups.

I'm thinking about changing the P pickup to something warmer, under $100.
    I'm thinking about Quarter Ponder, but I'm looking for more ideas.
    The P-lyte has a MM style pickup on the bridge, so the new P will have to work well with it.

Any ideas?

2. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    Nobody at all?

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    All I can say is I've had the QP in my P bass for over 10 years and couldn't be happier. It can be warm or very aggressive. A lot depends on the height you set the pickup and the strings you use, of course. When I want more warmth I just roll back the tone control a bit.

The QP should work well with a MM pickup.

I use Thomastic flats.

4. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The dimarzios are warmer sounding to me then the quarter pounders.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I had the Dimarzio in my P before the QP. It was no warmer sounding and lacked the bass response of the QP. I thought the QP was an improvement. However, not everyone will agree with me. Both are good pickups and an improvement over the factory Fender 1978 pickup in my opinion. But others will say that the stock Fender is the best pickup there is for a P. It's all a matter of personal taste.

6. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    I have the vintage p and I want more low end without getting a modern sound, that's why I'm hesitant to order the QPs.