1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

replacement p-up for sb-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Jun 6, 2004.

1. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I just got a new tribute sb-2. I really like the sound of the P pickup but the bridge pickup is really thin and weak sounding. It doesn't look like this is a standard J pickup. Does anybody out there know who makes replacement pickups with a fatter tone while still retaining the J bridge "burp"?

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I dont know of a standard replacement for that pup. I have the same bass but the US version (which is the same size pups). I do know that some places like Seymour Duncan Custom Shop can rewind any pups you send them. Email them and they can give you an estimate.

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I don't know of any other pickups the same size as the MFD J pickup on an SB-2.

One thing to look at. It may not be that the J pickup is so weak, but rather that the P pickup is so strong it overshadows the J. I pretty much use the P only on my SB-2 but I know of other folks who drop the P pickup all the way down (even taking out the springs underneath it) to get better balance with the J pickup. Without going custom I'd be surprised if you find anything that fits with close to the same output.

But if you do, let us know.