replacement p-up for sb-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by csholtmeier, Jun 6, 2004.

1. csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    I just got a new tribute sb-2. I really like the sound of the P pickup but the bridge pickup is really thin and weak sounding. It doesn't look like this is a standard J pickup. Does anybody out there know who makes replacement pickups with a fatter tone while still retaining the J bridge "burp"?
  2. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    I dont know of a standard replacement for that pup. I have the same bass but the US version (which is the same size pups). I do know that some places like Seymour Duncan Custom Shop can rewind any pups you send them. Email them and they can give you an estimate.
  3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I don't know of any other pickups the same size as the MFD J pickup on an SB-2.

One thing to look at. It may not be that the J pickup is so weak, but rather that the P pickup is so strong it overshadows the J. I pretty much use the P only on my SB-2 but I know of other folks who drop the P pickup all the way down (even taking out the springs underneath it) to get better balance with the J pickup. Without going custom I'd be surprised if you find anything that fits with close to the same output.

But if you do, let us know.