Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement P/ups & Preamp for EDB 600

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Soulbanana, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    What replacement pickups will fit in the routs on the Ibanez EDB600?

I believe the pickups are the same length for both the 4 & 5-string model?

Has anybody experimented with just replacing the onboard preamp with a Bart NTBT or EMG system but keeping the (passive) pickups?

2. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Hey Soulbanana,

I haven't tried replacing the preamp, but I have looked inside my EDB basses. I can tell you that all the electronics are all on a printed circuit board. I had bought one bass with the intention of using the electonics for my home built bass. Since I won't be using the same control layout or knob locations, that wasn't going to work for me! :meh:

Also, the EDB 690(4 string) and EDB 605(5 string) pickups are exactly the same as far as I can tell. They do have different part numbers per the Ibanez website, but the pole length and locations as well as the outside dimensions are the same. They measure 4.5" X 1.31". I used a sealed plastic bag with steel filings to look at the pickup poles on both. They appear to be solid bar magnets :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I now have a set of Bartolini XX M55C pickups which measure 4.5" X 1.5" and are supposed to be the same size as the EMG 45.

Good luck with the project!

3. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    Will the EMG45s fit into the routs on the Erdogyne? Doesn't look like it. The Ergos look like they have much longer and slimmer pickup shells.

When you say that the electronics are all on one PCB does that mean that I could disconnect the pickup wires, and lift the PCB / preamp and controls out to drop in a new preamp?

Thanks again!

4. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Yeah I think you could do that. Unscrew the pots and everything should drop right out. The output jack is seperate though so you wouldn't have to mess with that.

As for the EMG 45's, I don't think they'll fit. From what I have found they seem to be the right length but about 3/16" wider than the Ibanez pickups.