Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Parts for Essex P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jive1, Apr 27, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Did a search here and on setup and couldn't find anything specific.

Just some questions regarding replacement tuners and pickguard for an Essex P bass copy. Do the standard fender style tuners fit? i.e. Schaller BML, Hipshot American
    Has anyone tried any of the Hipshot Ultralights or the Schaller BML lights on this? If so, was alot of modification involved?
    Does a standard Fender replacement pickguard fit without modification?

I know some of you have made these upgrades, and your info would be most helpful to me. I'm looking to mod up my bass, but don't want to waste time or money on stuff that won't work.

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I have an SX p-bass thats getting all hot rodded by our very own Hambone. He's going to be putting on Schaller BML tuners, which I dont belive are going to involve any modification. As far as the bridge goes the holes are lined up just like the ones on a fender. I dont know about the bridges you asked about but I know the BAII is a perfect fit. The pg I believe would involve a little modification but Im not too sure about that one

3. Correct. The PG only involves some fit work around the heel of the neck like any pg would especially when going from brand to brand. When I hot rodded my Essex P that's all I had to do. Even most of the screw holes lined up. The Essex bridges have the two screws out front on the corners of the bridge and there's nothing you can do about them but if you go with a Gotoh 206, it has the same type of holes and that might work well.

4. what did you use to shape the pg around the heel?

5. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    How about tuners? Do the Schaller BML or Hipshot Ultralites fit on an Essex without modification?

6. Yes they do. In fact the BML's will also cover the original screw holes from the SX tuners because the chassis plates are larger. The BML lites will fit but they will leave the original screw holes exposed. I would plug them and trim them flush with a razor blade.

7. sorry to highjack but can i just use a razor blade to cut the pg to fit around the heel?

8. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Using a soldering iron to cut to fit around the heel is a bad idea though...even though I did it.