1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement pick guards for Sterling BMM basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 88persuader, Jan 24, 2012.

1. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    I just bought a Sterling Ray34 (I'll be delivered in around 5 days) so I've been doing a lot of reading about them. I read in one of the threads on this forum that the pickup is slightly different size wise to the EBMM basses. I'd like the option of changing out the pickguard to give it more of a custom look. Do pickguards made for EBMM basses fit Sterling by MM basses? If not is there a place that sells replacement pickguards for Sterling by MM basses?

Thanks

2. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    80 people checked this question and nobody has a reply. I contacted Sterling themselves and another pickguard maker and apparently nobody makes replacement pickguards for this bass unless you have one "custom made." Frankly I'm surprised the EB MM pickguards don't fit, I thought these basses were exact copies? Guess not.

3. well the only thing that is different is the pickup routing,maybe u can compare yours to a regular eb guard and see if youd want to try and cut the tabs off to fit.

4. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    I just wrote Sterling again and asked if they would sell me a pickguard. Seems they make black, white and shell colored pickguards which come on their basses. I'd love to replace my soon to be delivered white Ray34's black pickguard with something different. (Just to make it look a little different from everyone elses white Ray 34s.)

5. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
  6. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    Very nice, really makes the bass POP! If I don't have good results from Sterling directly I'll contact Pickguard Heaven. Thanks for the lead!

7. Agreed. Jeannie Pickguards does some nice work. If you have to have one custom cut, they're certainly an option.

8. 88persuader

88persuader

Aug 5, 2007
    Well apparently there is a market for Sterling by Musicman replacement pickguards and apparently Pickguard Heaven already has the template. They should advertise that they offer these guards because from what I can tell NOBODY else currently offers them unless you get one "custom made" which is always more expensive. It's an untapped market.

Anyway thanks for the heads up!