Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

replacement pick-ups on an american jazz deluxe

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 810wmb, Jul 10, 2000.

1. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    i own an 97 american jazz deluxe that i would like to upgrade the p-ups in. if anybody has made this switch in their own jazz deluxe i would like to hear about it.

any suggestions? cost? order from?

thanks

2. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    um, hello.....HELLO....is there anybody out there?

all i hear is the wind and crickets.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Tell us why you don't like your stock p'ups, then maybe someone can give you some advice.
    Also, Bass Player had a Jazz pick-up shoot-out in their March '99 issue.

4. i dont know about replacements, but i would be instrested in buying your old ones once u replace them

------------------
    Keep on thumpin

5. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    to me they lack warmth, a little muddy, and sound sterile.

this is my opinion. i have heard others say they love the sound. on another site, people whose opinion i trust have stated that the new fender vintage noiseless are a big improvement over the p-ups in mine.

as i would likely have to wait for at least a month for these to get in, i was looking for other suggestions on something that might be more readily avaliable.

also these are passive stacked humbuckers. would single coils add a LOT of noise?

thanks for the replies.

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    A month is not a long time to wait for any part you order to come in. Otherwise, you're limited to what a store has on the shelf. I have the new Fender Noiseless Jazz p'ups in my Jazz 5'r, and I think they're great. Try a new Fender with the noiseless p'ups and see if you like their tone.

7. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    You mentioned "muddy". I found the stocks pups in my MIA Jazz muddy too. I put in a set of Bartolini's and they provided a lot more clean boom in the bottom and more balance in the mids. I like the Barts a lot.

8. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    thanks for the thoughts. i was reading about the barts in the other thread. i had also decided to go to nashville next week to do some a/b on the pick-ups and other basses.

9. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    thanks for the thoughts. i was reading about the barts in the other thread. i had also decided to go to nashville next week to do some a/b on the pick-ups and other basses.

10. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    no, no, really, i MEANT to post that twice.

11. Incubass

Incubass

Jul 28, 2000
    Whatever you do... Don't get the 1/4lb Basslines. I got em. I hear next to no difference between them and my stock MEXICAN Jazz pick ups, other than the fact that the pole pieces aren't exposed as much as the stock, so when i slap w/ bridge on full, i don't hear the pop. BUt, i think I mighta installed em wrong, i'm getting some kind of hum out of em... That goes away when i touch the bridge or anything metal on the bass. so you might disregard any of my comments! Peace!
    Incubass