1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement pickguard for 1972 Precision?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brownie_bass, Oct 21, 2013.

1. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap]

Oct 3, 2013
    New York, NY
    I recently picked up a 1972 Fender P bass in decent but far from collector condition. Neck, body, pickups, tuners and (probably) bridge all appear to be original, but the pickguard and at least one pot has been replaced, it's missing a knob, there are some missing screws, etc.

The current pickguard bothers me for some reason and I want to replace it with something that doesn't have holes in the wrong places. I am far from an expert on vintage Fenders and what subtle changes might have been made from year to year, and I'd like to avoid getting the wrong thing if I can.

Does anyone know if the "60s" pickguard on the Fender website fits the '72 body? Link below:

http://www.fender.com/guitar-bass-p...recision-bass-pickguard-with-truss-rod-notch/

There is no official "70s" model on the website, hence my question.

Also, it seems like white and tortoise shell are the only options sold through Fender, though I'd prefer black if available - perhaps these were the only original options offered (like I said, I'm no expert). Is Fender the only reasonable source for vintage-style replacement pickguards, assuming this particular model actually even fits my bass?

As I said, the bass is in non-collectible condition, so I'd rather not shell out "real money" for a true vintage replacement, just get something that looks decent enough to not bother me like the current one does. :)

Thanks!

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That one will fit. For the mid to late 70's model, they just moved the finger rest and made it a thumbrest. That's really the only difference. Every other hole should be in the same place.

3. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
  4. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    You can get a genuine Fender pickguard in black on eBay from a reputable seller.

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    You can get genuine Fender parts - including PGs - from here, for a reasonable price:

http://angela.com/fenderbassparts.aspx

Fender parts will fit properly - any of the standard P Bass MIA PG's will fit your '72 - the MIMs will, too - but won't have the trussrod adj slot... Hope this helps,

- georgestrings

6. brownie_bass

brownie_bass [this space for sale, cheap]

Oct 3, 2013
    New York, NY
    Great, thank you all for the replies.