Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Pickguards for SX P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emor, Jul 4, 2005.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    After some consideration I have realized that a vintage or RI P-Bass just isn't in the budget at this time; however to help ease the GAS, I am considering getting an SX SPB-62 (sunburst), and modifying it over time if I want, while saving for the Fender.
    While a pickguard should be the least of my concerns, I have to admit that looks count. The SX P-basses only come with white PGs and I'd really like a tort.
    Warmoth has them for $50 (almost half the purchase price of the bass!!), Stew-Mac for $32.60, which seems a little more reasonable.
    Both have the screwholes already drilled.
    I'm wondering if anyone has switched their SX PG with one of these, and did the screwholes line up? Or is there a source for PGs w/o the holes and I can drill them myself?

Thanks.

2. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    1. I bought a Fender Jazz pickguard from MF that did not line up with the SX Jazz 62. It lined up with a couple of them, but not all of them.

2. A friend of mine bought black 3-ply pickguard sheets online and just cut it himself. Not the easiest thing to do, though. Probably too expensive considering the shaping, cutting, and buying of all of this stuff.

I say bite the bullet and just create the 2-3 extra holes you need with a Fender pickguard from MF. Also, if you switch back to the original pickguard, the new holes will still be covered.

-Eric.

3. check the essex mega thread, they do not line up but it isnt that big i deal to drill holes in a $100 bass, i did it

4. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Thanks for the replies.
    I guess I don't have a problem drilling new holes in a $100 bass, but it is when the holes almost line up that a problem occurs. I can drill out existing holes (in the bass) and fill with face grain plugs, but if I'm going to go to that much trouble, I would just as soon buy a PG blank and drill it myself, or even buy the material and shape it myself. (I am a cabinetmaker/furnituremaker, so I have the tools and skills).

Eric: Where did your friend get the material?
    Sorry, MF?

5. eric-
    i think he just called you a Mo**** Fu**** !!!
    :D

MF= Musicians Friend

6. You can do that approach, but remember...to do it right (to make it look at least as good as stock) you also need to get the bevel cutting router bit (see stewmac).

Also, check out some nice custom pick guard dudes...get some nice deals there if you just want a different colored one.

http://www.terrapinguitars.com/
    http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/Custom.html

They all do really nice jobs, and the latter link has like picgaurd engraving and trust me (did it on my old jagmaster) it looks AMAZING.

Cheers,

Nish

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Yup, this got me too. Got me a cool pickguard @ E Gay and the holes didn't line up. Some of them are too close so I can't drill because it will result in two holes merging. I'll probably just sell it off @ E Gay too (the pg)

8. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    argh, wrong post :-(

9. If you are a cabinet maker and you have tools, why not make one out of wood. A walnut-stained pickguard on a black bass with a rosewood fingerboard would look KILLER! Especially if you pick a laminate with a nice grain.

Other things you can play with is making PG’s out of formica…I mean, why NOT???

It’s like the bass player’s version of dressing up barbie dolls.
    :D

10. Apparently none of you have ever tried to buy a pickguard for a Fender product either. :D IMO chances are about 4 out of 10 that most aftermarket pickguards won't line up with all of the holes on a real F. A Fender replacement pickguard will fit 99.9% of the time providing you've bought the right one for your series of bass.

Why would you really want to go to the trouble of grain matching the tiny plugs for the 3 or 4 holes that won't be used with an aftermarket pg? For that matter why fill them at all since they are covered 100%? I'm sorry to break this to you but if you look under the pg of an Essex, the pup routes are way too large for the pups - if hidden esthetics is your worry. :bag:

11. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Why would you really want to go to the trouble of grain matching the tiny plugs for the 3 or 4 holes that won't be used with an aftermarket pg? For that matter why fill them at all since they are covered 100%? I'm sorry to break this to you but if you look under the pg of an Essex, the pup routes are way too large for the pups - if hidden esthetics is your worry.

It's not about grain matching, (or about filling holes that won't be seen), but having a sound piece of wood to screw into. If the holes are out of alignment, say by only an 1/8", there's no way you can ever keep the screw from wandering into the original hole. The easiest way to avoid this is to just drill out the first hole and glue in a plug. I would use a face grain plug (as opposed to a dowel) so the grain orientation would be the same as the body. It may seem like a big deal, but it's really not. I've had to do this on many occasions when doing repair/restoration on a piece of furniture where hinge screws (for example) are stripped out. I am not "worried" about "hidden aesthetics," but I find the "just jam some toothpicks and glue into the hole" to be shoddy craftsmanship, even on a cheap instrument.

As for using wood or p-lam, I'm sure that would work fine, but the idea was to go for the traditional look of sunburst/tortoise shell.