Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Pickguards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndjx, Sep 28, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Does anyone know where I can get a gold anodized(sp) pickguard for a P-bass?

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  3. Guitar Center usually has them available too. In fact the gold anodized P bass guards are the only P bass guards I've seen at GC. Also, try ebay, I've seen a few on there from time to time.

4. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Thanks so much for the help! What about for a Jazz bass?

5. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I've got one lying around. It came off my mim pbass. Let me know if you're interested. I'd let it go CHEAP.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Warmoth, WD, AllParts, Chandler, eBay, Sam Ash, Musician's Friend, Guitar Center, Harmony Central, etc.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I have one too-came of my MIM Pbass deluxe. Has a small black mark(was there when I got the bass)near the bottom hole for the jack, but otherwise, is in good shape. Is kept in the bag my tortoiseshell one came in.
    Let me know if interested. :)

8. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    How cheap would you guys let those go for? I'm thinking about it. However does anyone know where it'd be possible to get a custom one done for a Jazz bass? I looked at all of the sites mentioned. Oh yes and the one on the Musician's Friend website:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...1199177453/search/g=home/detail/base_id/36939

I think that's the same one on the MIM Deluxe P-bass Special but could anyone confirm this?

Also, if I wanted to replace a P-bass Neck with a Jazz bass neck would that be possible? Or are the dimensions different?

9. Nocturnal

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    A Fender jazz neck should fit right into the neck pocket of a Fender Pbass. If it's not a Fender, it depends on who made it. Some will, some won't. I don't know where to find a Jbass pickguard like the gold ones. I don't ever remember seeing one, but they may exist.

10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Make an offer-I'm sure it's not all that expensive brand new anyway. Let me know :)

11. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Where can I get replacement Jazz bass necks, besides Warmoth? I wanna try and keep it under 200 but preferably under 150.

Still lookin if anyone has info on a gold jazz bass pickguard.

12. Nocturnal

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Try ebay, they usually have a lot of Fender type necks on there. Check your email.

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    www.pickguards.com (WDMusic) will make custom pickguards, all you have to is send them a tracing of what you want. They will also make their standard pickguards with custom pickup configurations. I had them make a pickguard for a Gibson Melody Maker with a cut-out for a Strat type pickup. They charge 25% extra for custom work, but it still was less than $40.

14. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I e-mailed them and they said they don't make metal pickguards... :(

Any other help out there is much appreciated.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I was thinking about putting one of these JW Custom diamond plate aluminum pickguards on my Skyline -

[​IMG]

They have all kinds of shapes and colors and will make customs, but they aren't cheap.

http://home.gci.net/~jwcustom/index.htm

16. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    does anybody make precut pickguards for american jazz deluxes or do I have order a custom on from pickguards.com or something?