1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement pickup for 1969 Fender Telecaster bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shadven, Oct 8, 2013.

1. shadven

shadven

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock therefore I am.
    I am (reluctantly) :crying: considering replacing the stock p/u in my 1969 tele bass. The issue is the "A" string is really hot (loud) and the "G" string is really quiet. I have been adjusting string height and pickup angle endlessly and I can't seem to get the levels between strings close enough to be my main gigging bass... I want to play this bass all night. I love the tone of the original p/u.

Who makes replacement single-coil pickups for early P-basses and 1968 - 1970 Telecaster basses? Are there single-coil pickups with adjustable polls like the later Telecaster humbucker pickups?

Thanks

2. shadven

shadven

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock therefore I am.
    I see that Seymour Duncan has a couple different options. Straight replacement and a Quarter Pound for Single Coil P-Bass. Any opinions on these?

3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    My favorite single coil has been the Lollar. I met Jason at a local vintage show and he told me his biggest complaint with the old P/T single coil was the imbalance issues.

4. +1 lollar...

Believe it or not the MIJ fender 51 reissue is also excellent, slightly raised A and D but perfectly balanced IMO

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    How about getting your current pickups rewound?

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I tried three SD SCPB pickups; the QP, the SCPB-1, and an ANT or ANT II.

The QP is a good pickup was my favorite of the three, and it's not a traditional scpb sound.

I thought the SCPB-1 was on the muddy/bland side.

The ANT (II?) was way to bright for my liking, but probably an accurate duplicate of the "real thing."

I'd go with the Lollar if I was buying a new one.

7. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    I would send it somewhere to have the rod magnets recharged.

8. shadven

shadven

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I rock therefore I am.
    I've never heard of that? I know p/u's can be rewound, nd I thought they were basically a electronic magnet, so re-charging isn't something evern on the radar. I'll look it up.

9. uOpt

uOpt

Jul 21, 2008
    Boston, MA, USA
    No, those are not electromagnets. They are permanent magnets and they can lose charge when exposed to mechanical shock or oscillating magnetic fields such as from power tools.

And a recharge is totally harmless and can even be reversed (put a bit less charge if you liked it better before). Not comparable to a rewind which changes everything.