Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement pickup for an old Aria bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wrenchy, May 23, 2004.

1. wrenchy

wrenchy

Nov 26, 2003
    Moose Jaw, Canada
    The neck pickup on my bass seems to have died after all these years. I can't seem to find an aftermarket one that will fit right. Does anyone know where I could find a replacement? Is there a guitar "boneyard" somewhere? It's an Aria Pro 2 TSB 400 from 1981. Thanks.

2. nerf

nerf

Jun 4, 2004
    I've been wondering the same thing, I have an '82 TSB 350, it still works fine, but I would like to try something else. The only thing I've seen that may work is a couple of the Bartolini soapbars. I think the dimensions of the pickups on the these particular Arias are 3 7/8" x 1 9/16".

3. wrenchy

wrenchy

Nov 26, 2003
    Moose Jaw, Canada
    Since my original post, I got ahold of a couple of mighty mite passive soapbars. Their ALMOST the right size but I'm going to have to open the holes up a bit (4 1/16 wide). They also make active pups the same size. It would be nice to have drop ins though.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    nerf, if you're talking aboutthe Bart W4 pickups, they fit dimension wise but not screw hole wise.

IIRC, the screw hole locations you'd need overlap the existing screw hole locations by a certain amount so it could be tricky getting them in there.

I got a set of ebay to try in my pro ii sb-1000, and I was disappointed they didn't work out as they're the closest I've seen.