Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Pickup for carvin HB6

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IronSpatula, Dec 16, 2003.

1. I'm curious because I've been pondering a Carvin P-series 6 string for a while and I keep hearing bad things about their pickups... Supposing I get the bass and don't like the humbucker, where could I find a replacement with about the same dimensions and what would you reccomend? I'd want something with a clear, deep, and full tone. Thanks.

2. Oh yeah. maybe it would help if I mentioned that this is a 6 string MM style PU.:rolleyes:

3. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Would you be order the double HB6's, a la MGood's BB70P (4 string with 2 MM styles, HB4's).

I had a 6 string configuration liek this (2 HB6, piezo, claro walnut), and i absolutely loved it. I ended up returning it, simply cause i got a deal on my GTBD-7 that i just couldnt pass up. I plan on buying one again though, proally when i get outa college.

::shrugs:: I loved the sound personally.

I know that doesn't help you very much...Maybe basslines or something? pickups arent one of the things i research very much.

-Chap

4. Thanks for the reply. I had thought about getting the bass with 2 humbuckers, like mgood's BB70, but I wasn't sure if it would be as versatile of a configuration. Do you know how the split HB2 sounds compared to the J99?

I have never heard any of these pickups in person, so this is all purely hypothetical. Hopefully, I'll get the bass and it will sound just fine for my taste.

5. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The split HB2 to sound like a J99 has been a bit of a debated issue. From what ive heard, it comes darn close.

As far as getting fat sounds...Trying to think of a bass to compare it to but im coming up blank...i dunno, it just sounds huge.

When i get around to getting another one, definitely going BB76P (i got the XB series before...cool B string sound, but i like the body shape of the BB), dual HB6's, piezo pups (obviously), Claro or straight walnut with 5 piece maple neck all on a tung oiled finish with gold hardware.

:D

(heres hopin...)

-Chap