Replacement pickup for Ibanez Ergodyne

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Charlzm, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Charlzm

Charlzm Guest

Mar 25, 2011
    My g/f is wonderful. She saw a weird bass at a swap meet and bought it for me for $150.00. Turns out it was an Ibanez Ergodyne EDA900. I'm going to rehab it and keep it as a beater bass to haul around to gigs and such as it has an interesting tone and will be sure to start tongues wagging with its weird looks.

However...

The bass is a bit hissy and pops from time to time. I'm going to have to do something about the piezo pickups later, but I've decided to focus on the passive magnetic pickup first. It sounds dull, lifeless and lacks a tight bottom end to my ears. I had been hoping some pickup manufacturer might make a drop-in replacement, but it doesn't look like this is the case.

Ibanez refers to the pickup as model DFR-5N, part number 3PU1C4350.

I checked EMG, Seymour Duncan and Bartolini with no luck.

So... has anyone here replaced this Ibanez pickup in their bass (Ergodyne, BTB, what have you) and, if so, what brand did you use and how did it work out for you?

[​IMG]

funkybassplayer likes this.
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2021