Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement pickup for P bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by toms, Sep 21, 2000.

1. toms

toms

Aug 22, 2000
    I've got a mid grade Yamaha fretless four string that has a great accoustic sound, but I just cannot get the tone I want through my rig. The Yamaha has a cheap P bass pickup and the sound is weak. Don't want to drop alot of cash in this one.

Can I get some sugestions on replacement pickups?
    Vintage sound? Modern sound?

Toms
    if your rig sounds like a carefully executed fart...you won't get the job.

2. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    On two separate occasions, I've used the Bartolini 8S P-bass replacement, and have yet to be disappointed. I find it to be powerful and warm.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    That Bartolini 8S is probably a really good pickup, but can be hard to find. I wanted to try one, but I got a Basslines Quarter Pound. It's good, but I probably should have gotten the "Hot" instead. The Quarter Pound is good, but it is capable of really brilliant highs, which I don't need. The Basslines "Hot" is supposed to be really fat, with rolled off highs. I also tried the Seymour Duncan Antiquity, and I didn't like it. It's a little noisy, and not so hot as the others I mentioned above. Having said all that, for a good, all-purpose pickup with strong highs and lows, and good output, I recommend the Basslines Quarter Pound. You can get them around $60 without trying too hard. If you want something cheap, there's EMG Select and Mighty Mite, but I haven't tried them. You can get the EMG Select for about $25, and the Mighty Mite is also pretty inexpensive.

4. I've had good luck with Rio Grande's Vintage P-Bass pickup in my 57 reissue. It sounds terrific, but its output seems to be much higher than the vintage one it supposedly replicates. I got it on clearance from Elderly for $50. I've also heard good things about the Duncan Antiquity and Fender's own Custom Shop P-Bass pickups. Since you're pleased with your bass' acoustic sound, you probably want a pickup that's accurate and uncoloured, which means that you'll probably want to hear from people who have tried the Fralins, Aeros, and Lane Poors.
    funkyc

5. toms

toms

Aug 22, 2000
    Thanks for all the sugestions, I've heard you can't go wrong with Barts. I haven't been able to find any supplier with stock on Barts. As far as Basslines, where can I get'em?
    I've got active P/J Seymore's on my Fender and they have a great sound, these have the three dip switches on the pickups and I'm told they are no longer manufactured. Know of any links to their web site?

Toms

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  7. Basslines is Duncan's bass pickup division.

8. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    I put a Bart 8S in my P-Bass about 6 months ago and it really improved the tone and output of that instrument. But, as others have pointed out, they can be kinda hard to locate at times. If you're interested, try this link - these guys seem to carry a good stock.

http://www.thebassplace.com