Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Pickup for the Sting bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mel Monihan, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I have a Sting bass and I like the sound of the original pickup, I was wondering if there was a pickup out there that was a direct replacement that might have more output and be a little quieter.I don't know if there is a stacked humbucker.Any suggestions please.Thanks guys.

2. Seymour Duncan makes an excellent replacement pup for that. I do not believe it is stacked, but I could almost bet it's a better pup than the stock unit regardless.

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I'm using a Duncan 1/4 pounder and it kicks. I like it much better than the original - it's a fatter sound. But it is a single coil and they only get but so quiet.

4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Duncan Antiquity II Single Coil P-bass pickup.
    Big full sound, $85.00

5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I believe Seymour Duncan does make a stacked humbucker, but they are only "made-to-order", and it is not in their catalog or on their website.

Also, I think it's the pickup Sting actually has in his SCPB, so you would be making your Sting sig bass more authentic.

6. ...Did'nt Sting play a Telecaster bass?-Fender... :D

7. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    No, he plays an early P bass.

I think I've seen some people make split SCPB replacement pickups.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  9. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Thanks guys.That gives me alot to work with.