1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement pickup suggestions wanted.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 6stringbassist, Feb 23, 2008.

1. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    I'm playing a Modulus Quantum 6 string, which is fitted with Bartonlini pickups, and an East deluxe preamp, it has an active bypass switch fitted.

I'm using the bass in passive mode mostly through a Berg IP rig, it sounds great, but I'm wondering if the passive sound can be improved by changing the pickups.

I'd keep the East preamp.

2. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    No, but you can change the tone :D

What would you rather it sound like?

3. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Jul 9, 2007
    UK.
    I could have worded it better, it's a bit late.

I'd like to get something similar to Anthony Jackson, I know that's not going to happen, seeing how he plays his Fodera, and I play a Modulus, but something similar would be great.

Something not quite so dark sounding, and bit more 'airy'.

4. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    I'm not an AJ expert but I seem to remember him as picking more towards the neck than most of us and that can give an airy, fundamental sound. A bit of palm muting to make things a bit more staccato maybe.

He also seems to really like one pickup basses and wiring the pickup direct to the jack kind of stuff. Then he also like those $1000 cables... just sayin...

Your Barts can also be switched from series to parallel in at least on way. If you can find out what AJ has you can try to mimic that. I find that will really change the tone of a pickup.

5. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The answer to this question was given somewhere here in Talkbass world!
    I just can't remember it just now