1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement pickups and pre for Ibanez 6 string

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Will Kelly, May 9, 2010.

1. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Well, I'm kicking around the idea of selling my Ibanez BTB Prestige six string, but now I'm not so sure.

I think maybe I can love it if I replace the electronics. The natural acoustic tone of the instrument is awesome!

I hate Bartolini pickups. And their pre-amp. The preamp has the lamest voicing in the mid.

Any idea or suggestions for preamp and pickups on this beast? I would like to get a more traditional sound from it rather than the black fart that is Bartolini. :D

Thanks

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Try an audere preamp. as per pickups Seymour Duncans or nordstrand might be a good choice.

3. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    Any other ideas? Are these Ibanez pickups a standard soapbar size?

Thanks

4. soothsayer86

soothsayer86

May 5, 2010
    NH
    bump! i'm also trying to figure out what type of pickups to drop into my ibanez sr406 (6stringer)

5. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson! Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    64 Audio · DR Strings · Source Audio · Hipshot
    Measure the pickups, then go to a place like bestbassgear.com and compare the sizes to the pickups they have in stock.

gebass6 likes this.
  6. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Did u ever find replacements? My bridge pup broke on the BTB776

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Depends on the year. Older ones with Ibanez or later Bartolini MK1 pickups will benefit of a replacement by pretty much any high end pickup and preamp.
    If it's a recent one, I think the Bart pickups sound fine and the EQB-IIISC preamp is little short of extraordinaire.
    If you don't like the sound of Barts, you may be lucky with Nordstrand big singles like Ibanez use on Premium series.

8. Garion

Garion

Apr 9, 2016
    Hi all! I know this is a dead 3D but I think it's better posting here instead of making a new one...

So, i'm thinking about the replacement of electronic/pickup of my old btb556.
    Here's a little Story about it:
    As acoustic it sounds awesome, so I changed the electronics With a passive one many years ago. The result was good, but now it doesn't feel "that good" , maybe because the pickups or because the electronics hand made by a tiny little store... I really don't know what they did.
    Anyway, the bass now sounds sloppy, poor and with any trace of the beautyful sound that it has as acoustic.

The pickups are ibanez.

Any suggestion to make the sound more similar to the real sound of the instrument? I really like it, also because it grew up by my side (it's about 15yers old now, big boy :D )

Sorry for my english, anyway

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Conkal likes this.