1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement pickups for 1991 Peavey Dynabass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fred in Vegas, Apr 15, 2010.

1. I bought a passive/active Koa wood dynabass in 1990 or 1991 and it's time to replace the pickups. They still sound great and I continue to get comments about how good the bass sounds but I'm getting way too much hum now. I pretty much just use passive but on occasion, I need that little extra oomph from the actives. As I said, the bass still sounds great and I don't want to change the sound I get. I'm really an upright guy and don't know much about electronics so I'm looking for suggestions about what to use. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Have you checked the schielding & grounding? I wouldn't pull them out unless to replace them with the same pup. It may just be a simple problem.

3. Thanks for the quick reply, hdracer.

The noise is just one reason for wanting to replace the pickups. I've had the same guitar tech for the last 7 years and we've talked about it on and off for the past 2 or 3. The pickups also have rust and we've haven't been able to adjust them to get an truly even response across all strings. I've been living with it but the straw that broke the camel's back was doing a major gig and having trouble with the hum again.

BTW, my tech has recommended Bartolinis. He's very good but he's a guitarist. I'd prefer to hear from fellow bassists.

4. Do you have a Dyna-Bass S with a P-J set or a standard Dyna with Superferrites. Any number of pickups can be used to replace a p-j set and barts are a good choice. The superferrites are more difficult to replace and will probably require routing.

Just reread the thread and realized that you were talking about a Koa Unity. It definitely has a P-J combo and any number of pickups will work well. I like the barts and they sound great with or without onboard preamps. Nordstroms are very popular now, and Seymour Dunkins continue to remain popular. There are many options available.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If it's like my late 80s Dyna-Bass it's extremely well shielded already. Shielding shouldn't be a problem. There are so many options I can't even begin. Bartolinis are fine; I have had a pair in an old bass and they sounded good. Sounds like you are a fan of the existing system on that bass - Bartolini (as well as many other manufacturers) will be able to give you a good sounding set of passive pickups that should work nicely with the preamp on that bass.

If you're trying to avoid hum, make sure you get a humbucker pickup for the J style pickup in that bass!

6. Sorry it's taken so long to get back to everyone. Thanks for all your input. I decided on passive Barts and wow, huge difference. Much better tone and the hum is gone.