1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Replacement Pickups for a 5-string Bartolini MK1

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Persona87, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Persona87

Persona87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I recently picked up a fretless 5 string Conklin GT bass for almost nothing. The only problem with it is that the neck pickup doesn't work. The guy at the shop said that it wasn't an issue with a loose wire or anything simple like that, it was going to need a new pickup altogether.

I am looking for a decent pickup to replace this faulty one. In a perfect world it would complement the Bart MK-1 that is still sitting in the bridge position, but eventually I plan to replace both pickups and the preamp anyway, so if it doesn't, it's not a big deal.

I mostly play jazz and hip hop, but I also play a lot of melodic jam rock and fingerstyle funk. It's currently strung with DR Pure Blues rounds.

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    What you have is actually AMK1 pickups, which are the Active version of MK1. Like their passive siblings, they are reverse P split coil style pickups, but since they are active so they need to be powered.

Direct replacement without the need of routing the body would be Bartolini's own MK5 pickups (with exception of drilling two new screw holes for each pickup). Inside each of the MK5CBC pickups are dual full bar coils which can be wired with a mini switch to give options of single coil, so they would perform like jazz bass pickups. If you decided to go this way, the coil split mini switch can occupy the current slap contour switch hole. For the pre-amp, you can get any preamp which also doesn't require you to drill new hole for the pot or switch, such as Bart HR-5.2AP/918, despite it offers mid freq selection and active/passive switching, since it uses pull/push pots.

Any Bartolini P2 pickups will also fit (they are actually a tad smaller than the MK series, but won't be noticeable). Other pickup manufacturers usually refer to the P2 form factor when making replacement for the MKs.

3. Persona87

Persona87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    So these pickups, like EMGs, actually draw power from the battery? They just say MK1 on the pickup cover. Is it possible that the connection to the battery is broken and that's why it doesn't work? How could I check that? I'd much rather just fix it than replace it, at least for now.

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Yes, each of the AMK1 pickups has a wire that runs to the battery.

Conklin website describes the GT 5 bass is equipped with Active MK1 pickups and a preamp that features a slap contour switch (which I'm guessing is the MK2 preamp). There aren't that many basses with this kind of configuration, despite there are a lot of basses from various manufacturers that use Bart (passive) MK1 pickups and MK1 preamp.

I own a Cort Curbow bass which also features AMK1 pickup and MK2 preamp. The pickup cover just say MK1.

5. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Check the wiring to/from the pickup making sure the signal, ground and batt+ all go where they are supposed to. Don't assume the shop/tech knew what they were doing with the active pickup.

Edit: If unsure, upload some photos of the cavity showing the pickup wiring.

6. Persona87

Persona87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    I'll do that when I get home from work today. Unfortunately the cavity is a bit messy: lots of wiring and a couple circuit boards. I'll do what I can.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021