1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Replacement pickups for a Soundgear 5 string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    What's a good replacement pickup for a passive '96 SDGR5? I really need new ones as the current ones suck... What's good? I'm looking for a kinda warm, bassy tone, clear but not trebly. TIA

2. I have a SR-505 that had the stock Ibanez active system in it, The ADX-5 pups and 2-band preamp. The sound was ok. I liked everthing else about the bass, so I installed the equivalent Basslines gear (ASB-5's, STC-2A). The improvement was pretty incredible, the range and clarity improved tons. It's a keeper now. I have heard that Basslines gear is not as warm sounding as Bartolini stuff, but warmer than EMG. I think that any of these mfr's will get a you a huge increase in tone quality but you may end up spending a lot on experimenting with strings to get a more vintage type tone. Some guys will say that doing this is like putting pearls on a pig, don't believe em! In hindsight, I would definitely get the 3-band preamp.