Replacement pickups for an MIJ Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rjg, Oct 16, 2002.

1. I posted a week ago about getting my Jazz bass replaned or replacing it, and after seeing what the luthier was able to do with frets 1-12 (which were reparable by adjusting the truss rod), I'm seriously thinking about paying the $275 for a replaning job, which, apparently, involved replaning the actual rosewood fretboard and refinishing it. I've also looked at other examples of his work, and they are impressive.

But, the MIJ's pickups are pretty tepid. So, I'm going to go ahead and throw some new pickups in when I get it replaned. But, I'm not sure what I should go with. I see there are Fender replacements, which I assume are of better quality than the ones in there now, but I also see that the Seymour-Duncans are reverse-wound, which will hopefully solve the nasty hum I get when I don't have the two volume knobs absolutely equal. The bass guy at my local Guitar Center suggested Bartolinis.

I want something that will fix the hum, and give me more volume, but I do want the bass to still sound like a Jazz Bass.

Any help?
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    If you really want the bass to sound like a Jazz Bass you'll have to live with the hum. A huge defining component of the Jazz Bass sound is the two single coil passive pickups.

I have a set of Bartolini Jazz Bass pickups in the custom 4 string Jazz in my avatar and they're very nice. I have the Fender standard alnico pickups in my 1997 Jazz V and they sound better than the Barts IMO. I'd go with Fender vintage style pickups if I were in your shoes.
  3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Replacement pickups for an MIJ Jazz Bass?

I just put a set of Hot Jazz Basslines in a 63-64 Fender Jazz and they sounded great! Unfortunately someone had replaced the original P/U's with some EMG's. The guy wanted to get a fairly vintage sound but wanted more output so I suggested the Bassline Hot Jazz P/U's wired passive. He's been playing it for a couple of months and loves the sound. They should sound very similar in your MIJ Jazz.
  4. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    move this to the "Pickups" forum?
  5. Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups won the Bass Player Jazz Bass pickup shootout.
  6. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    I happen to have a mint set of used Basslines hot jazz pu's for sale. Let me know if interested.
  7. freigeistler

Sep 1, 2002
    You won't have to live with the hum. Ever heard of "jazzbucker" pickups: j-style single coil pickups with a so called phantom coil...the fender american deluxe Jazz Bass series got that feature. Oh: And these pieces definitly do sound like a Jazz Bass.