Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement pickups for an old semihollow framus

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emre03, Sep 16, 2003.

1. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    Hi there;
    I recently bought a 40+ yers old semiacosutic shortscale framus bass.It was cracked and all the parts were in a bad condition but i had a local luthier take care of it and defret it.But now due to its very old and "constantly humming" pickups i can't play it with an amplifier.
    I also have an active 5 string bass with 3 band eq and i plan to buy more active basses but i bought this bass to give me a sound closer to a double bass(or at least an acoustic bass).
    I plan to change its pickups as soon as i have enough money but I need advenced opinions.
    The pickups are very vintage and their sizes are about 38to84 mms so its hard to find exact sized good pickups, but I think i can have a luthier modifiy the pickup holes.
    And fianlly what kind of pickups and electronics do you recommend for this bass?I want a natural tone, should I use active electonics with no eq or passive electronics(or new generation passive electronics like bart cbs) or should i use piezzos(but it would be close to impossible to install piezos to this axe).
    I wouldn't reply since 22th but thanks for your suggestions anyway, I will send you pictures of this old fart as soon as i can...

2. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    And one final thing what brand and type of pickups should i use? quadrocoil-quadrocoil or quadrocoil-doublecoil or what else?The pickups are in neck-bridge position. And remeber the bass is a short scale so its impossible for me to get a funky or modern bass tone, in fast i dont want to get that kind of tone....
    Thanks again..