Replacement pickups for an old semihollow framus

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emre03, Sep 16, 2003.

1. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    Hi there;
    I recently bought a 40+ yers old semiacosutic shortscale framus bass.It was cracked and all the parts were in a bad condition but i had a local luthier take care of it and defret it.But now due to its very old and "constantly humming" pickups i can't play it with an amplifier.
    I also have an active 5 string bass with 3 band eq and i plan to buy more active basses but i bought this bass to give me a sound closer to a double bass(or at least an acoustic bass).
    I plan to change its pickups as soon as i have enough money but I need advenced opinions.
    The pickups are very vintage and their sizes are about 38to84 mms so its hard to find exact sized good pickups, but I think i can have a luthier modifiy the pickup holes.
    And fianlly what kind of pickups and electronics do you recommend for this bass?I want a natural tone, should I use active electonics with no eq or passive electronics(or new generation passive electronics like bart cbs) or should i use piezzos(but it would be close to impossible to install piezos to this axe).
    I wouldn't reply since 22th but thanks for your suggestions anyway, I will send you pictures of this old fart as soon as i can...

2. emre03

emre03

Sep 18, 2000
    Turkey,Istanbul
    And one final thing what brand and type of pickups should i use? quadrocoil-quadrocoil or quadrocoil-doublecoil or what else?The pickups are in neck-bridge position. And remeber the bass is a short scale so its impossible for me to get a funky or modern bass tone, in fast i dont want to get that kind of tone....
    Thanks again..