Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement pickups for Ibanez ADX6

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by embellisher, Oct 10, 2000.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am going to hot rod my Ibanez SR506 and would like some suggestions on replacement pickups for the ADX6.

EMG, Bartolini, Lane Poor, or ???

And somebody turn me on to a good preamp as well, preferably with a variable midrange control.

Or how about maybe a Music Man 6 style in the middle and a soapbar at the bridge, or a Jazz?

Any suggestions?

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    To keep the cost down on your modification, I would look for soapbars that are the same size as the ADX6 pups. Keeping that in mind, I would look at EMG's first.

As far as sound goes, I have always liked Seymour Duncan replacement pickups (and pre-amp for bass) for the guitars that I've owned (and one bass that I modified) over the last 18 years.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yeah, Slater, it's a pretty bass, I don't wanna chop it up too much.

Seymour Duncan doesn't make anything remotely close to the same dimensions, according to their website.

So far, the closest I've found are EMG soapbars, and Bart has several that would be within a millimeter or two.

Anyone else?

4. The pups in your bass are not the major problem, it's the cheap and nasty preamp.ALL cheap to intermediate basses that are active suffer from crappy preamps. This is an area that asian manufacturers have not got a clue about! You will find an enormous change in your bass simply by changing to either a Seymour Duncan Basslines or Bartolini preamp. They will work with the Ibanez pups. I would personally go with the Duncan 3band model 'cos it comes with a pull up volume pot that kicks in a "slap" contour. It is very easy to install. If you want to change the pups later on, any competent luthier can rout the body to suit.

5. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I agree with Marty. The place where costs get cut is usually in the active circuit... and it winds up being the weak link. I would make a change there first. You may find that it will solve your problem.