Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Replacement Pickups for J-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by l0calh05t, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Ok, can anyone give some opinions on any of these pickups I can't really decide...

Seymour Duncan Hot Stack Jazz
    Bartolini 9W4J pair
    Bartolini 9J#1 pair
    DiMarzio Model J

I am mainly looking for a kind of in-your-face sound with lotsa lows and low mids, but i need good highs too.

2. I have a Dimarzio Model J at the bridge of one of my basses (bass also has a Model P). It definitely has lots of mids and cuts through well. To me, "In your face" is a term that fits it well.

It may not have enough treble for some people. For the tones I need out of this bass.. I'd say it's just about the right amount as long as my strings are reasonably fresh.

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    the thing about pickups is that it's really hard to say, unless you've gigged with 'em for awhile.
    definitely, some general descriptions are probably out there somewhere...
    i tried a couple of different seymour duncan basslines models in my fender jazz and liked 'em both.
    i think they were ajj-2 and steve bailey models... actives.

i've played bartolinis... they're excellent pickups.
    although they sound smooth i've heard that some have a lower output, and really benefit from an active preamp onboard.
    the dimarzios on the other hard, have 'hot' outputs but i can't comment on the tone really.

4. I'm not sure about the Hot Stack Jazz. I do know about the regular Hot Jazz. They are very bassy, and have a lot of midrange kick to them. They still have clear highs. They don't get muddy. Very strong high output. Even though I didn't get the hum-cancelling ones, there is no noise at all from mine. There wasn't with my stock MIM pickups, so maybe I'm just lucky.

5. I am mainly interested in humbucking j-bass pickups

6. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    btw, you should do a search on this issue, there have been tons of threads in the past,
    and i think one of those threads has a link to a bassplayer magazine article on a jazz replacement pickup shootout. it's pretty comprehensive and covers dozens of brands.
    you could do a google search too... "bass player magazine jazz bass pickup shootout"
    good luck.

7. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    :D http://bassplayer.com/z1999/9903/pickups.shtml

8. after reading the shootout i think these are my top 3:

1.Bartolini 9W4J pair
    2.DiMarzio Model J DP123
    3.DiMarzio Ultra Jazz DP149