1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Replacement pickups for Jazz Basses

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thelimey, Oct 20, 2009.

1. thelimey

thelimey

Oct 18, 2009
    I put Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder pickups in my 92 Longhorn Jazz bass and am very happy with the performance.

I was wondering which other replacement pickups like DiMarzio, Fralin etc sounded good. Looking for something full bodied with good output.

2. fender custom shop 60's pups are great IMO

3. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    i replaced my sd sjb3 with hand wound kent armstrong j pickups. Sounds great.

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Full bodied and tons output = DiMarzio Ultra J. You can wire them with a series/parallel switch (or push/pull pot) so you can get both rich & thick or thin & jazzy.

5. scuz

scuz You can't be angry ALL the time!

Mar 24, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    +1 on the Ultra J's. I have them in my MiM and it really nails the "j" sound that I hear in my head.

6. LeeWTurner

LeeWTurner Banned

Oct 16, 2009

I had Fralins and Nordstand NJ4Svs in my bass and found that the Duncan Antiquity IIs blew them out of the water. The tone was more pure and the harmonics REALLY jump!! :bassist:

7. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Limey

You should start here

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91384